Examining the Distributional Effects of Military Service on Earnings: A Test of Initial Dominance
Existing empirical evidence suggests that the effects of Vietnam veteran status on earnings in the decade-and-a-half following service may be concentrated in the lower tail of the earnings distribution. Motivated by this evidence, we develop a formal statistical procedure which is specifically designed to test for lower tail dominance in the distributions of earnings. When applied to the same data as in previous studies, the test reveals that the distribution of earnings for veterans is indeed dominated by the distribution of earnings for non-veterans up to $12,610 (in 1978 dollars), thereby indicating that there was higher social welfare and lower poverty experienced by non-veterans in the decade-and-a-half following military service.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linton, Oliver & Song, Kyungchul & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2010.
"An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 186-202, February.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An Improved Bootstrap Test of Stochastic Dominance," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1713, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance," Economics Working Papers we094827, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 1991.
"Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-era Draft Lottery,"
670, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-Era Draft Lottery," NBER Working Papers 4067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horvath, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Zitikis, Ricardas, 2006. "Testing for stochastic dominance using the weighted McFadden-type statistic," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 191-205, July.
- Saraswata Chaudhuri & Elaina Rose, 2009.
"Estimating the Veteran Effect with Endogenous Schooling when Instruments are Potentially Weak,"
UWEC-2009-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Chaudhuri, Saraswata & Rose, Elaina, 2009. "Estimating the Veteran Effect with Endogenous Schooling When Instruments Are Potentially Weak," IZA Discussion Papers 4203, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:van:wpaper:1111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.