Examining the Distributional Effects of Military Service on Earnings: A Test of Initial Dominance
Existing empirical evidence suggests that the effects of Vietnam veteran status on earnings in the decade-and-a-half following service may be concentrated in the lower tail of the earnings distribution. Motivated by this evidence, we develop a formal statistical procedure that is specifically designed to test for lower tail dominance in the distributions of earnings. When applied to the same data as in previous studies, the test reveals that the distribution of earnings for veterans is indeed dominated by the distribution of earnings for nonveterans up to $12,600 (in 1978 dollars), thereby indicating that there was higher social welfare and lower poverty experienced by nonveterans in the decade-and-a-half following military service.
Volume (Year): 31 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/UBES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/UBES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saraswata Chaudhuri & Elaina Rose, 2009.
"Estimating the Veteran Effect with Endogenous Schooling when Instruments are Potentially Weak,"
UWEC-2009-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Chaudhuri, Saraswata & Rose, Elaina, 2009. "Estimating the Veteran Effect with Endogenous Schooling When Instruments Are Potentially Weak," IZA Discussion Papers 4203, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Linton, Oliver & Song, Kyungchul & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2010.
"An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 186-202, February.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An improved bootstrap test of stochastic dominance," Economics Working Papers we094827, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2009. "An Improved Bootstrap Test of Stochastic Dominance," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1713, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1992.
"Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-Era Draft Lottery,"
NBER Working Papers
4067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 1991. "Estimating the Payoff to Schooling Using the Vietnam-era Draft Lottery," Working Papers 670, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Horvath, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Zitikis, Ricardas, 2006. "Testing for stochastic dominance using the weighted McFadden-type statistic," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 191-205, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jnlbes:v:31:y:2013:i:1:p:1-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.