Two Characterizations of Consistency
This paper offers two characterizations of the Kreps-Wilson concept of consistent beliefs. One is primarily of applied interest: beliefs are consistent iff they can be constructed by multiplying together vectors of monomials which induce the strategies. The other is primarily of conceptual interest: beliefs are consistent iff they can be induced by a "product dispersion" whose marginal dispersions induce the strategies (a "dispersion" is defined as a relative probability system, and a "product" dispersion is defined as a joint dispersion whose marginal dispersions are independent). Both these characterizations are derived with linear algebra.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M Kreps & Robert Wilson, 2003.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
618897000000000813, David K. Levine.
- Monderer, Dov & Samet, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S, 1992. "Weighted Values and the Core," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 27-39.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1984.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
590, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2004.
"Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
548, Econometric Society.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2003. "Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20039, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- McLennan, Andrew, 1989. "The Space of Conditional Systems is a Ball," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 125-39.
- Srihari Govindan & Tilman Klumpp, 2003. "Perfect equilibrium and lexicographic beliefs," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 229-243.
- Blume, Lawrence & Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1991.
"Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice under Uncertainty,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 61-79, January.
- Lawrence Blume & Adam Brandenburger & Eddie Dekel, 2014. "Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice Under Uncertainty," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Language of Game Theory Putting Epistemics into the Mathematics of Games, chapter 6, pages 137-160 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Vieille, Nicolas, 1996. "Conditional Systems Revisited," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 207-17.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Reny, Philip J., 1997. "Independence on Relative Probability Spaces and Consistent Assessments in Game Trees," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 280-313, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:uwowop:20052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.