Two Characterizations of Consistency
This paper offers two characterizations of the Kreps-Wilson concept of consistent beliefs. One is primarily of applied interest: beliefs are consistent iff they can be constructed by multiplying together vectors of monomials which induce the strategies. The other is primarily of conceptual interest: beliefs are consistent iff they can be induced by a "product dispersion" whose marginal dispersions induce the strategies (a "dispersion" is defined as a relative probability system, and a "product" dispersion is defined as a joint dispersion whose marginal dispersions are independent). Both these characterizations are derived with linear algebra.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Reference Centre, Social Science Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2|
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. M. Gorman, 1968. "The Structure of Utility Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(4), pages 367-390.
- Monderer, Dov & Samet, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S, 1992. "Weighted Values and the Core," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 21(1), pages 27-39.
- Lawrence Blume & Adam Brandenburger & Eddie Dekel, 2014.
"Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice Under Uncertainty,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: The Language of Game Theory Putting Epistemics into the Mathematics of Games, chapter 6, pages 137-160
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Blume, Lawrence & Brandenburger, Adam & Dekel, Eddie, 1991. "Lexicographic Probabilities and Choice under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 61-79, January.
- David Kreps & Robert Wilson, 1998.
Levine's Working Paper Archive
237, David K. Levine.
- Vieille, Nicolas, 1996. "Conditional Systems Revisited," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 25(2), pages 207-17.
- Srihari Govindan & Tilman Klumpp, 2003. "Perfect equilibrium and lexicographic beliefs," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 31(2), pages 229-243.
- McLennan, Andrew, 1989. "The Space of Conditional Systems is a Ball," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 18(2), pages 125-39.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2004.
"Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
548, Econometric Society.
- Peter A. Streufert, 2003. "Products of Representations Characterize the Products of Dispersions and the Consistency of Beliefs," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20039, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Reny, Philip J., 1997. "Independence on Relative Probability Spaces and Consistent Assessments in Game Trees," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 280-313, August.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1986.
"Multistage Games with Communication,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 323-58, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:uwowop:20052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.