Gas Market Integration: Global Trends and Implications for the EAS Region
East Asia is already the main destination of the world’s commercial liquefied natural gas (LNG). However, the gas markets in the EAS area are either underdeveloped or fragmented. The objectives of this study are twofold, namely, i) to present a review of the trends in global gas market integration and ii) to draw implications and make recommendations for gas market development in the EAS area. To achieve the goal of an integrated gas market in the EAS region, governments in member economies must work together to implement a plan. Specifically, four recommendations are made to the EAS states: adopt a formal program to promote and nurture the development of gas markets in member states and phased sectoral reforms in relatively mature markets; set targets to gradually harmonise regulatory and technical standards in the gas sector; coordinate better to promote their “gas” causes; and boost cross-border connectivity and trading within the area and eventually achieve regional gas market integration.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (08) 9380 2918
Fax: (08) 9380 1016
Web page: http://www.business.uwa.edu.au/school/disciplines/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume L¿Hégaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2003.
"International Market Integration for Natural Gas?: A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
393, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & L'Hegaret, Guillaume & Neumann, Anne & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005. "International market integration for natural gas? A cointegration analysis of prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 603-615, July.
- Guillaume L'Hegaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2004. "International Market Integration for Natural Gas? A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Working Papers 0402, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Sutherland, Ronald J., 1993. "Natural gas contracts in an emerging competitive market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(12), pages 1191-1204, December.
- Mohammadi, Hassan, 2011. "Market integration and price transmission in the U.S. natural gas market: From the wellhead to end use markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-235, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwa:wpaper:11-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verity Chia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.