Gas Market Integration: Global Trends and Implications for the EAS Region
East Asia is already the main destination of the world's commercial liquefied natural gas (LNG). However, the gas markets in the EAS area are either underdeveloped or fragmented. The objectives of this study are twofold, namely, i) to present a review of the trends in global gas market integration and ii) to draw implications and make recommendations for gas market development in the EAS area. To achieve the goal of an integrated gas market in the EAS region, governments in member economies must work together to implement a plan. Specifically, four recommendations are made to the EAS states: adopt a formal program to promote and nurture the development of gas markets in member states and phased sectoral reforms in relatively mature markets; set targets to gradually harmonise regulatory and technical standards in the gas sector; coordinate better to promote their "gas" causes; and boost cross-border connectivity and trading within the area and eventually achieve regional gas market integration.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & L'Hegaret, Guillaume & Neumann, Anne & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005.
"International market integration for natural gas? A cointegration analysis of prices in Europe, North America and Japan,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 603-615, July.
- Guillaume L¿Hégaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2003. "International Market Integration for Natural Gas?: A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 393, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guillaume L'Hegaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2004. "International Market Integration for Natural Gas? A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Working Papers 0402, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Sutherland, Ronald J., 1993. "Natural gas contracts in an emerging competitive market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(12), pages 1191-1204, December.
- Mohammadi, Hassan, 2011. "Market integration and price transmission in the U.S. natural gas market: From the wellhead to end use markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 227-235, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2011-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.