A Preference Free Partial Differential Equation for the Term Structure of Interest Rates
The objectives of this paper are twofold: the first is the reconciliation of the differences between the Vasicek and the Heath-Jarrow-Morton approaches to the modelling of term structure of interest rates. We demonstrate that under certain (not empirically unreasonable) assumptions prices of interest-rate sensitive claims within the Heath-Jarrow-Morton framework can be expressed as a partial differential equation which both is preference-free and matches the currently observed yield curve. This partial differential equation is shown to be equivalent to the extended Vasicek model of Hull and White. The second is the pricing of interest rate claims in this framework. The preference free partial differential equation that we obtain has the added advantage that it allows us to bring to bear on the problem of evaluating American style contingent claims in a stochastic interest rate environment the various numerical techniques for solving free boundary value problems which have been developed in recent years such as the method of lines.
|Date of creation:||01 May 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as: Chiarella, C. and El-Hassan, N., 1996, "A Preference Free Partial Differential Equation for the Term Structure of Interest Rates", Financial Engineering and the Japanese Markets, 3(3), 217-238.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/finance
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Ram Bhar & Carl Chiarella, 1995.
"Transformation of Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models to Markovian Systems,"
Working Paper Series
53, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- R. Bhar & C. Chiarella, 1997. "Transformation of Heath?Jarrow?Morton models to Markovian systems," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-26.
- Peter Ritchken & L. Sankarasubramanian, 1995. "Volatility Structures Of Forward Rates And The Dynamics Of The Term Structure," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 55-72.
- Bhar, R. & Hunt, D.F., 1993. "Predicting the Short Term Forward Interest Rate Structure Using a Parsimonious Model," Papers e9307, Western Sydney - School of Business And Technology.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:wpaper:63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.