Innovating Routines and Routinizing Invention: A Study on the Diffusion of Patent Applications in Italian Regions, 1981-2001
This paper investigates the pattern of cross-region al diffusion of innovating routines in Italy, in the period 1981-2002. The Italian case is relevant due to the persisting dualism between regions led by manufacturing and business-services industries, as already noted in the 1970s by the scholars of the Ancona group. The main point is that the routinizing of invention activities emerges as a specific stage of industrial development. We have eventually analyzed the role of structural change and knowledge stocks availability in this process. Both the descriptive and the econometric evidence strongly support the hypothesis of diffusion of innovating routines as closely related to the pattern of diffusion of industrialization and the development of absorptive capacity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unito.it/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quatraro, Francesco, 2006.
"Mind the Gap: Convergence of Technology and Technology of Convergence in Italian Regions, 1982-2001,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
200603, University of Turin.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2006. "Mind the Gap: Convergence of Technology and Technology of Convergence in Italian Regions, 1982-2001," ERSA conference papers ersa06p831, European Regional Science Association.
- Loasby, Brian J., 2002. "The evolution of knowledge: beyond the biological model," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1227-1239, December.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2006. "Diffusion as a Process of Creative Adoption," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 211-226, 03.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2004. "Diffusion as a Process of Creative Adoption," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200403, University of Turin.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M, 1994. "Competitive Diffusion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 24-52, February.
- Macdonald, G.M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 88-10, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1991. "Competitive Diffusion," Papers 92-08, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," Working Papers 88-29, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993. "Competitive Diffusion," NBER Working Papers 4463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jovanovic, B. & Macdonald, G.M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," RCER Working Papers 160, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Pier Paolo Patrucco, 2005. "The emergence of technology systems: knowledge production and distribution in the case of the Emilian plastics district," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 37-56, January.
- Patrucco, Pier Paolo, 2002. "The Emergence of Technology Systems: Knowledge Production and Distribution in the Case of the Emilian Plastics District," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200206, University of Turin.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2005. "An Ethno-linguistic Approach to the Role of Services in Knowledge Transfer: The Case of the Innovation Relay Centre of Southern Italy," Prometheus, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 437-458.
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2006. "Innovation strategy and the patenting behavior of firms," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 109-135, April.
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2006. "Innovation strategy and the patenting behavior of firms," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167553, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrea Morrison, 2008. "Gatekeepers of Knowledge within Industrial Districts: Who They Are, How They Interact," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 817-835.
- Andrea Morrison, 2004. "Gatekeepers of knowledge within industrial districts:who they are, how they interact," KITeS Working Papers 163, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2004.
- Francesco QUATRARO, 2006. "Technological Change And Productivity Growth In Italian Regions, 1982-2001," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 24, pages 135-158.
- Roberto Mazzoleni & Richard R. Nelson, 2006. "The Roles of Research at Universities and Public Labs in Economic Catch-up," LEM Papers Series 2006/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:labeco:200606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.