Hybrid Licensing of Product Innovations
This paper studies the feasibility and the effects of hybrid licensing agreements involving product innovations protected by patents and trade secrets. Since incentive and efficiency considerations suggest that a typical contract should provide for a negative fixed fee and post-patent royalties at the same unit level as before patent’s expiration, we conclude that per se prohibitions of these practices are not justified on economics grounds.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 011670 4406
Fax: +39 011670 3895
Web page: http://www.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ottoz Elisabetta & Cugno Franco, 2007.
"Patent-Secret Mix in Complex Product Firms,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers
200707, University of Turin.
- Richard Gilbert & Carl Shapiro, 1990.
"Optimal Patent Length and Breadth,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 106-112, Spring.
- Stephen Law, 2004. "Inter-temporal Tie-ins: A Case for Tying Intellectual Property Through Licensing," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 3-26.
- Richard Gilbert & Carl Shapiro, 1997. "Antitrust Issues in the Licensing of Intellectual Property: The Nine No-No's Meet the Nineties," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 283-349.
- Scotchmer, suzanne, 1998.
"The Independent-Invention Defense in Intellectual Property,"
Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series
qt2s5174q8, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Maurer, Stephen M & Scotchmer, Suzanne, 2002. "The Independent Invention Defence in Intellectual Property," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(276), pages 535-47, November.
- Stephen M Maurer & Suzanne Scotchmer, 2003. "The Independent Invention Defense in Intellectual Property," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000544, David K. Levine.
- Nancy T. Gallini, 1992. "Patent Policy and Costly Imitation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 52-63, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:dipeco:200810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.