A Cost Analysis of a Minimum Pension Guarantee for the Individual Pension System in Turkey
The returns from individual accounts in pension schemes are subject to fluctuations in capital markets. This increases income uncertainty for the beneficiary and exposes individuals to the risk of fluctuations in the economy in general, and of the stock market in particular. This fact has recently gotten considerable attention from policymakers. A minimum pension guarantee is a way to avoid this pitfall by providing a minimum annuity regardless of the actual investment performance of individual accounts. In this study, we present a cost analysis of a minimum benefit guarantee mechanism for the Individual Pension System in Turkey, a privately managed defined contribution scheme which was introduced in 2003 as a complement to the traditional pay-as-you-go system. We examine the cost estimates and the probability of guaranteed payoffs under various economic and demographic assumptions.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1645 E. Central Campus Dr. Front, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9300|
Phone: (801) 581-7481
Fax: (801) 585-5649
Web page: http://economics.utah.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gasparini, Leonardo & Alejo, Javier & Haimovich, Francisco & Olivieri, Sergio & Tornarolli, Leopoldo, 2007.
"Poverty among the Elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
42957, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Javier Alejo & Francisco Haimovich & Sergio Olivieri & Leopoldo Tornarolli, 2007. "Poverty among the Elderly in Latin America and the Caribbean," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0055, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 1992. "On the Management of Financial Guarantees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(4), Winter.
- Marie-Eve Lachance & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2002.
"Guaranteeing Defined Contribution Pensions: The Option to Buy-Back a Defined Benefit Promise,"
NBER Working Papers
8731, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marie-Eve Lachance & Olivia S. Mitchell & Kent Smetters, 2003. "Guaranteeing Defined Contribution Pensions: The Option to Buy Back a Defined Benefit Promise," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(1), pages 1-16.
- Kent Smetters, 2002.
"Controlling the Cost of Minimum Benefit Guarantees in Public Pension Conversions,"
NBER Working Papers
8732, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smetters, Kent, 2002. "Controlling the cost of minimum benefit guarantees in public pension conversions," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 9-33, March.
- Marie-Eve Lachance & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2003.
"Understanding Individual Account Guarantees,"
wp035, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Cooper, Russell W. & Ross, Thomas W., 2003. "Protecting underfunded pensions: the role of guarantee funds," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 247-272, November.
- Nielson, Norma L. & Chan, David K. W., 2007. "Private pensions and government guarantees: clues from Canada," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 45-66, March.
- Ahmet Tuncay Teksoz & Serdar Sayan, 2002. "Simulation of Benefits and Risks after the Planned Privatization of the Pension System in Turkey: Is the Expected Boost to Financial Markets Feasible?," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(5), pages 23-45, October.
- Adem Y. Elveren, 2008. "Social Security Reform in Turkey: A Critical Perspective," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 212-232, June.
- Mario Jametti, 2007.
"Underfunding of Defined Benefit Pension Plans and Benefit Guarantee Insurance - An Overview of Theory and Empirics,"
2007_1, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mario Jametti, 2007. "Underfunding of Defined Benefit Pension Plans and Benefit Guarantee Insurance - An Overview of Theory and Empirics," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 200, McMaster University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uta:papers:2009_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.