Depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands: past, present and future
Globalisation and changes in financial systems across the world are causing marked changes in processes of financial regulation and supervision and are also calling into question the existing arrangements for protecting depositors and investors. This paper examines the factors prompting the changes. It first presents theoretical considerations governing supervision, regulation and protection. It continues by presenting some history of depositor protection in the European Union in the process overcoming a remarkable paucity of accessible information on the subject. It continues by presenting as much history of depositor and investor protection in the Netherlands as could be garnered from public and DNB sources. It describes instances where the present arrangements might be changed. It concludes by noting that debate in the Netherlands concerning reform is vigorous. It is hoped that this paper will contribute to that debate and will help to build a consensus on the nature of the reforms that are needed.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gropp, R. & Vesala, J., 2001.
"Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard: Does the Counterfactual Matter?,"
47, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka, 2001. "Deposit insurance and moral hazard: does the counterfactual matter?," Working Paper Series 0047, European Central Bank.
- Joke Mooij & Henriette Prast, 2002.
"A Brief History of the Institutional Design of Banking Supervision in the Netherlands,"
Research Series Supervision (discontinued)
48, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Joke Mooij & Henriette Prast, 2003. "A brief history of the institutional design of banking supervision in the Netherlands," Chapters, in: Banking Supervision at the Crossroads, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Joke Mooij & Henriette Prast, 2002. "A Brief History of the Institutional Design of Banking Supervision in the Netherlands," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 703, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992.
" Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-45, March.
- Larry D. Wall, 1997. "Taking note of the deposit insurance fund: a plan for the FDIC to issue capital notes," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 1, pages 14-30.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbocs:202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.