Dollarization in Ecuador: A Post-Keynesian Analysis
Ecuador's dollarization was no marginal optimization decision. It was fundamental, dramatic and designed to completely transform central elements of the economy. Since orthodox, a-historical perspectives are inadequate in explaining such significant policy reversals, the paper uses a "post-keynesian institutionalist" explanatory framework (PKI). An Appendix surveys the twenty-year evolution of this effort to combine post-keynesian analysis with institutionalism. The paper's sections critique three orthodox explanations of dollarization, showing why they are unsatisfactory accounts of Ecuador's experience, examines the heterodox literature on exchange rate issues, introduces the PKI concepts used to explain Ecuador's dollarization, considers the actual dollarization process in Ecuador from a PKI perspective, and finally extrapolates from that treatment to the
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in M. Vernengo (ed.) Monetary Integrations and Dollarizations: No Panacea, Edward Elgar, 2006.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (801) 581-7481
Fax: (801) 585-5649
Web page: http://economics.utah.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arestis, Philip, 1996. "Post-Keynesian Economics: Towards Coherence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-35, January.
- Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi & Guillermo A. Calvo, 2002.
"Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons,"
Research Department Publications
4299, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6821, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2003. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate, and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," NBER Working Papers 9828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1996.
"Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_155, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1998. "Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies," Macroeconomics 9809015, EconWPA.
- Clements, Benedict & Schwartz, Gerd, 1993. "Currency substitution: The recent experience of Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(11), pages 1883-1893, November.
- John T. Harvey, 2001. "Exchange Rate Theory and "The Fundamentals"," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 24(1), pages 3-15, October.
- Karras, Georgios, 2002. "Costs and Benefits of Dollarization: Evidence from North, Central, and South America," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 502-516.
- Tony Lawson, 1994. "The Nature of Post Keynesianism and Its Links to Other Traditions: A Realist Perspective," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 16(4), pages 503-538, July.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Natalia Salazar & Roberto Steiner & Eugenio Díaz-Bonilla & Marco Bonomo & Juan C. Jaramillo & Hector E. Schamis & Alberto Pascó-Front & Piero Ghezzi & Maria Cristina Terra & José De, 2001. "The Currency Game: Exchange Rate Politics in Latin America," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 77398 edited by Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden.
- repec:idb:brikps:77398 is not listed on IDEAS
- McKinnon, Ronald I., 2001. "The problem of dollar encroachment in emerging markets," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 301-319, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uta:papers:2004_05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.