A Comparison of Alternative Nonparametric Estimators of the Short Rate Diffusion Coefficient
In this paper we discuss the estimation of the diffusion coefficient of one-factor models for the short rate via non-parametric methods. We test the estimators proposed by Ait Sahalia (1996a), Stanton (1997) and Bandi and Phillips (2003) on Monte Carlo simulation of the Vasicek and CIR model and show that all estimators, especially that proposed by Ait-Sahalia (1996a), are problematic for values of the mean reversion coefficient typically displayed by interest rate data. Moreover all estimators depend crucially on the choice of the bandwith parameter. Data analysis shows that the estimators lead to different estimates on the data set analyzed by Ait-Sahalia (1996a) and Stanton (1997); moreover we show that the two data set are inherently different.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," NBER Working Papers 5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bandi, Federico M., 2002. "Short-term interest rate dynamics: a spatial approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 73-110, July.
- Duffee, Gregory R, 1996. " Idiosyncratic Variation of Treasury Bill Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 527-551, June.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1994. "Idiosyncratic variation of Treasury bill yields," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David A. Chapman & Neil D. Pearson, 2000. "Is the Short Rate Drift Actually Nonlinear?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 355-388, 02.
- David A. Chapman & Neil D. Pearson, 1998. "Is the Short Rate Drift Actually Nonlinear?," Finance 9808005, EconWPA.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2003. "Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 241-283, January.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001. "Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1332, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-560, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-384, March.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992. " An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-1227, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Bianchi, C. & Cesari, R. & Panattoni, L., 1994. "Alternative Estimators of the Cox, ingersoll and Ross Model of the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Monte Carlo Comparison," Papers 236, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
- Pritsker, Matt, 1998. "Nonparametric Density Estimation and Tests of Continuous Time Interest Rate Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 449-487.
- Durham, Garland B., 2003. "Likelihood-based specification analysis of continuous-time models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 463-487, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:445. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.