The effect of unemployment spells on subsequent wages in Spain
In our analysis we try and recover the wage loss from unemployment in Spain and see how it is affected by previous unemployment experience, unemployment duration, eligibility for unemployment benefits, and previous wages. We also study its variations across groups. Our main conclusion is that while there is some evidence that labour market rigidities tend to lower it, the wage loss of displaced workers is remarkably high: more than 30%, that is, twice the equivalent figure for the US and France. Wages in Spain suffer from a serious mismeasurement problems that we do our best to control, so that our results are less robust than the ones that would be obtained with better data sets. However, they indicate a large level of wage flexibility in Spain.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings losses of displaced workers,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1974.
"Age, Experience and Wage Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
0051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- Daniel Cohen & Arnaud Lefranc & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1997. "French unemployment: a transatlantic perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(25), pages 265-292, October.
- William J. Carrington, 1993. "Wage Losses for Displaced Workers: Is It Really the Firm That Matters?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(3), pages 435-462.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Addison, John T & Portugal, Pedro, 1989. "Job Displacement, Relative Wage Changes, and Duration of Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 281-302, July.
- Houle, Mario & Van Audenrode, Marc, 1995. "Job displacement, wages, and unemployment duration in Canada," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 77-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.