Estimating Daily Inflation Using Scanner Data: A Progress Report
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jessie Handbury & Tsutomu Watanabe & David E. Weinstein, 2013.
"How Much Do Official Price Indexes Tell Us about Inflation?,"
NBER Working Papers
19504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsutomu Watanabe & David Weinstein & Jessie Handbury, 2014. "How Much Do Official Price Indexes Tell Us About Inflation?," 2014 Meeting Papers 73, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jessie Handbury & Tsutomu Watanabe & David E. Weinstein, 2013. "How Much Do Official Price Indexes Tell Us About Inflation?," CARF F-Series CARF-F-328, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Ivancic, Lorraine & Erwin Diewert, W. & Fox, Kevin J., 2011.
"Scanner data, time aggregation and the construction of price indexes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 24-35, March.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J. & Ivancic, Lorraine, 2009. "Scanner Data, Time Aggregation and the Construction of Price Indexes," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-48, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Sep 2009.
- Correia, Isabel H. & Neves, Joao L. & Rebelo, Sergio, 1992. "Business cycles from 1850 to 1950 : New facts about old data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 459-467, April.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 161-193.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992. "Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993. "Relative-price changes as aggregate supply shocks," Working Papers 93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, G.H., 1992. "Relative-Price Change as Aggregate Supply Shocks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1609, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464.
- Satoshi Imai & Chihiro Shimizu & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2012. "How Fast Are Prices in Japan Falling?," UTokyo Price Project Working Paper Series 001, University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Economics, revised Oct 2012.
- Satoshi Imai & Chihiro Shimizu & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2012. "How Fast Are Prices in Japan Falling?," CARF F-Series CARF-F-298, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Reinsdorf, Marshall B, 1999. "Using Scanner Data to Construct CPI Basic Component Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 152-160, April.
- Mio, Hitoshi & Higo, Masahiro, 1999. "Underlying Inflation and the Distribution of Price Change: Evidence from the Japanese Trimmed-Mean CPI," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 17(1), pages 103-132, May.
- Nao Sudo & Kozo Ueda & Kota Watanabe, 2014.
"Micro Price Dynamics during Japan's Lost Decades,"
Asian Economic Policy Review,
Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 9(1), pages 44-64, January.
- Nao Sudo & Kozo Ueda & Kota Watanabe, 2013. "Micro Price Dynamics during Japan's Lost Decades," CAMA Working Papers 2013-63, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Sudo, Nao & Ueda, Kozo & Watanabe, Kota, 2013. "Micro price dynamics during Japan's lost decades," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 159, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- IMAI Satoshi & SHIMIZU Chihiro & WATANABE Tsutomu, 2012. "How Fast Are Prices in Japan Falling?," Discussion papers 12075, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Introduction to "Scanner Data and Price Indexes"," NBER Chapters,in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 1-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenn Ariga & Kenji Matsui & Makoto Watanabe, 2001. "Hot and Spicy: Ups and Downs on the Price Floor and Ceiling at Japanese Supermarkets," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 316, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Scanner Data and Price Indexes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen03-1, April.
- de Haan, Jan & van der Grient, Heymerik A., 2011. "Eliminating chain drift in price indexes based on scanner data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 36-46, March.
- Abe, Naohito & Tonogi, Akiyuki, 2010. "Micro and macro price dynamics in daily data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 716-728, September.
More about this item
Keywordsscanner data; consumer price index; T¨ornqvist index; chain drift; trimmed means; regular and sale prices; deflation;
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-08-28 (All new papers)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upd:utppwp:020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yayoi Hatano). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/fetokjp.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.