Gender and Ethnicity in Post-Conflict Kosovo
The paper examines the comparative economic wellbeing of female- and male-headed households among Serbs and Albanians in post-conflict Kosovo. Evidence from the living standards measurement study (LSMS) household survey, 2001, shows that Serb households, both those headed by women and men, are worse off than Albanians households. We find that female-headed households do not generally suffer more than male-headed households, but there is substantial variation among ethnic groups. While Albanian female-headed households are marginally better-off than Albanian male-headed households, Serb female-headed households have the lowest standard of living.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2006.
"Ethnic conflict and economic disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 754-773, December.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2006. "Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," Departmental Working Papers 200636, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2005. "Ethnic Conflict and Economic Disparity: Serbians and Albanians in Kosovo," IZA Discussion Papers 1772, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deininger, Klaus & Castagnini, Raffaella, 2006.
"Incidence and impact of land conflict in Uganda,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 321-345, July.
- T.D. Stanley & Stephen B. Jarrell, 1998. "Gender Wage Discrimination Bias? A Meta-Regression Analysis," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(4), pages 947-973.
- Frank A. Scott & Mark C. Berger & John E. Garen, 1995.
"Do Health Insurance and Pension Costs Reduce the Job Opportunities of Older Workers?,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(4), pages 775-791, July.
- Frank A. Scott & John Garen & Mark Berger, 1995. "Do health insurance and pension costs reduce the job opportunities of older workers?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(4), pages 775-791, July.
- Maitra, Pushkar & Ray, Ranjan, 2003. "The effect of transfers on household expenditure patterns and poverty in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 23-49, June.
- Barros, Ricardo & Fox, Louise & Mendonca, Rosane, 1997.
"Female-Headed Households, Poverty, and the Welfare of Children in Urban Brazil,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 231-57, January.
- Barros, Ricardo & Fox, Louise & Mendonca, Rosane & DEC, 1994. "Female - headed households, poverty, and the welfare of children in urban Brazil," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1275, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:rp2008-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.