A Survey of Growth and Development Issues of the Pacific Islands
This paper is a survey of some key variables with an international dimension and implications for growth and development policies in selected Pacific island countries. Results from a simple growth accounting exercise show that factor accumulation is the most dominant growth factor and that the contribution of total factor productivity is negligible. Therefore, increasing the investment rate to improve growth rate is a pragmatic medium-term policy option. Further, econometric analysis shows that foreign aid has a negligible effect on output and growth in Fiji, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 1999.
"Aid Effectiveness Disputed,"
62290, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harrison, Ann, 1996.
"Openness and growth: A time-series, cross-country analysis for developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 419-447, March.
- Harrison, Ann, 1991. "Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 809, The World Bank.
- Ann Harrison, 1995. "Openness and Growth: A Time-Series, Cross-Country Analysis for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 5221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Feeny, 2005. "The Impact of Foreign Aid on Economic Growth in Papua New Guinea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(6), pages 1092-1117.
- Kevin Hoover & Harris Dellas, 2003.
"Truth and Robustness in Cross-country Growth Regressions,"
11, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Kevin D. Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, 2004. "Truth and Robustness in Cross-country Growth Regressions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(5), pages 765-798, December.
- Kevin D. Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, . "Truth and Robustness in Cross-country Growth Regressions," Department of Economics 01-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Takirua, Toani, 2006.
"The effects of exports, aid and remittances on output: The case of Kiribati,"
1548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Toani Takirua, 2010. "The effects of exports, aid and remittances on output: the case of Kiribati," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(11), pages 1387-1396.
- Hal Hill & Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1998. "Foreign Investment in East Asia: A Survey," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 12(2), pages 23-50, November.
- Schclarek, Alfredo, 2004. "Debt and Economic Growth in Developing and Industrial Countries," Working Papers 2005:34, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Presbitero Andrea F., 2006.
"The Debt-Growth Nexus: a Dynamic Panel Data Estimation,"
Rivista italiana degli economisti,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 417-462.
- Andrea PRESBITERO, 2005. "The Debt-Growth Nexus: a Dynamic Panel Data Estimation," Working Papers 243, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Luiz R. de Mello Jr., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Selective Survey," Studies in Economics 9701, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Rukmani Gounder, 2001. "Aid-growth nexus: empirical evidence from Fiji," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 1009-1019.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:rp2007-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Bruck Tadesse to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.