Public debt in an OLG model with imperfect competition: long-run effects of austerity programs and changes in the growth rate
We show that (i) dynamic inefficiency may be empirically relevant in a modified Diamond model with imperfect competition, (ii) if fiscal policy is used to avoid inefficiency and maintain an optimal capital intensity, the required debt ratio will be inversely related to the growth rate, and (iii) austerity policies reductions in government consumption and entitlement programs for the old generation raise the required debt ratio.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagano, Marco, 1989.
"Imperfect Competition, Underemployment Equilibria and Fiscal Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
280, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pagano, Marco, 1990. "Imperfect Competition, Underemployment Equilibria and Fiscal Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 440-63, June.
- Soon Ryoo & Peter Skott, 2011.
"Public debt and full employment in a stock-flow consistent model of a corporate economy,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2011-26, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Soon Ryoo & Peter Skott, 2013. "Public debt and full employment in a stock-flow consistent model of a corporate economy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(4), pages 511-528, July.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004.
"Public Debt as Private Wealth,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
371, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ekkehart Schlicht, 2006. "Public Debt As Private Wealth: Some Equilibrium Considerations," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 494-520, November.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lopez-Garcia, Miguel-Angel, 2008. "On the role of public debt in an OLG model with endogenous labor supply," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1323-1328, September.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2010. "The Simple Macroeconomics of Fiscal Austerity, Public Sector Debt and Deflation," IMK Working Paper 8-2010, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Thomas Herndon & Michael Ash & Robert Pollin, 2013. "Does High Public Debt Consistently Stifle Economic Growth? A Critique of Reinhart and Rogo ff," Working Papers wp322, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2010. "The return of fiscal policy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(3), pages 327-346, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ums:papers:2013-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arslan Razmi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.