The role of reading engagement in a case of national achievement improvement: analysis of Chilean results in PISA 2001-2009
Reading achievement is usually explained by economic and institutional factors external to the students themselves. This research uses data from PISA (2001- 2009) to analyze the reading improvement in Chile (the highest of the period in OECD countries). The authors emphasize the role of reading engagement (attitudes, motivation and learning strategies), scarcely studied in developing countries. Results obtained by Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition and multilevel regressions are consistent with previous literature, in addition, attitudes toward reading fit to explain a quarter of the 2001-2009 score improvement and 8% of both assessments variance within schools. Strategies, in contrast, seems unrelated to reading achievement.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dante Contreras & Paulina Sepúlveda & Sebastián Bustos, 2010.
"When Schools Are the Ones that Choose: The Effects of Screening in Chile,"
Social Science Quarterly,
Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 91(s1), pages 1349-1368.
- Sebastián Bustos & Dante Contreras & Paulina Sepulveda, 2007. "When schools are the ones that choose: the effect of screening in Chile," Working Papers wp242, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "The Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 453-479, December.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Frauke Kreuter & Richard Valliant, 2007. "A survey on survey statistics: What is done and can be done in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(1), pages 1-21, February.
- repec:idb:brikps:publication-detail,7101.html?id=9345 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gregory Elacqua & Matías Martínez, 2011. "Searching for schools in a low quality market: Evidence from Chile," Working Papers 16, Facultad de Economía y Empresa, Universidad Diego Portales.
- Roy Costilla, 2008. "Using Stata's capabilities to assess the performance of Latin American students in Mathematics, Reading and Science," Fall North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2008 14, Stata Users Group. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:wpaper:wp367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mohit Karnani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.