The limits to competition in urban bus services in developing countries
This paper makes the case for the return of regulation in the organization of urban bus services in developing countries. During the past three decades urban public transport policy has transversed several phases. From public ownership and monopoly provision, the eighties and nineties was characterized by liberalization of the sector. The experience of several countries, in particular Chile, indicates that liberalizing the sector may not be the welfare maximizing option. This paper discusses the market failures that justify this claim and presents the regulatory options available in this emerging new role of government. Throughout the paper we illustrate ideas with examples from Chile, Colombia and a few other countries.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Marc Ivaldi, 2002.
"Incentive Regulatory policies: The Case of Public Transit Systems in France,"
- Philippe Gagnepain & Marc Ivaldi, 2002. "Incentive Regulatory Policies: The Case of Public Transit Systems in France," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 605-629, Winter.
- Gagnepain, P. & Ivaldi, M., 1999. "Incentive Regulatory Policies: the Case of Public Transit Systems in France," Papers 99.515, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Ivaldi, Marc, 1999. "Incentive Regulatory Policies: The Case of Public Transit Systems in France," IDEI Working Papers 84, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1987.
"Auctioning Incentive Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 921-37, October.
- Richard Schmalensee, 1978. "Entry Deterrence in the Ready-to-Eat Breakfast Cereal Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 305-327, Autumn.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, June.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:wpaper:wp205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Carranza)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.