White Elephants and the Limits to Efficient Investment
This paper studies a policymaker’s optimal choice between redistribution and efficient public investment. Under political instability, there is myopic government behavior which results in underinvestment. Above some critical value of political instability, it is optimal not to invest at all. This finding also suggests that it may be rational for governments to refrain from anti-corruption investment, even if they are not rent-seeking themselves.
|Date of creation:||23 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Bohn, 2004. "The Trade-off between Monetary and Fiscal Solidity - International Lenders and Political Instability," Working Papers 200408, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Beck, Paul J. & Maher, Michael W., 1986. "A comparison of bribery and bidding in thin markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-5.
- Lien, Da-Hsiang Donald, 1986. "A note on competitive bribery games," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 337-341.
- Cukierman, Alex & Edwards, Sebastian & Tabellini, Guido, 1992.
"Seigniorage and Political Instability,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 537-55, June.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005.
"Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7364, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005. "Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 69-97, January.
- Robinson, James A & Torvik, Ragnar, 2002.
CEPR Discussion Papers
3459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lui, Francis T, 1985. "An Equilibrium Queuing Model of Bribery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 760-81, August.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Wen, Jean-Francois, 1998. "Political instability, capital taxation, and growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1635-1651, November.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Svensson, Jakob, 1998. "Investment, property rights and political instability: Theory and evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1317-1341, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:200413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.