A Tale of Two Commons: Some Preliminary Hypotheses on the Long-Term Development of the Commons in Western and Eastern Europe, 1000-1900
In this article we offer a broad explanatory framework for the divergence in the development of institutions for collective action, in particular commons, in Eastern and Western Europe. The latter area was particularly early with the development of collective arrangements of natural resource management. We explain on the one hand the rapid and intensive development of such institutions west of the Elbe and on the other hand the rather slow and less intensive development on the eastern side.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cgeh.nl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521194488 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521290463 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brooks, Karen & Gardner, Bruce, 2004. "Russian Agriculture in the Transition to a Market Economy," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 571-86, April.
- J. A. Van Houtte, 1966. "The Rise and Decline of the Market of Bruges," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 19(1), pages 29-47, 04.
- Greif, Avner, 1994. "On the Political Foundations of the Late Medieval Commercial Revolution: Genoa During the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(02), pages 271-287, June.
- Tine De Moor & Jan Luiten Van Zanden, 2010. "Girl power: the European marriage pattern and labour markets in the North Sea region in the late medieval and early modern period -super-1," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 63(1), pages 1-33, 02.
- Casari, Marco, 2007.
"Emergence of Endogenous Legal Institutions: Property Rights and Community Governance in the Italian Alps,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(01), pages 191-226, March.
- Casari, Marco, 2006. "Emergence of Endogenous Legal Institutions: Property Rights and Community Governance in the Italian Alps'," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1182, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1998. "The Economics of Agricultural Decollectivization in East Central Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 1-26, October.
- Toumanoff, Peter, 1981. "The Development of the Peasant Commune in Russia," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(01), pages 179-184, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucg:wpaper:0031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Carmichael)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.