The Impact of the Food and Financial Crises on Child Mortality: The case of sub-Saharan Africa
The years 2000-2007 witnessed an average decline in U5MR in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) faster than that recorded during the prior two decades, including in countries with high HIV prevalence rates due to the spread of preventative and curative measures. Despite their gravity, a comprehensive analysis of the impact of the 2008-2009 crises on child mortality is still lacking, and estimates of the number of additional child deaths caused by the crises in SSA vary enormously.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarah Baird & Jed Friedman & Norbert Schady, 2009.
"Aggregate Income Shocks and Infant Mortality in the Developing World,"
2010-07, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Sarah Baird & Jed Friedman & Norbert Schady, 2011. "Aggregate Income Shocks and Infant Mortality in the Developing World," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 847-856, August.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins & Gabriel Vergara, 2010. "Prioritizing Expenditures for a Recovery for All: A Rapid Review of Public Expenditures in 126 Developing," Working papers 1007, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
801, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Park, Joon Y, 1988. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1065-83, September.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1996.
"Are Recessions Good For Your Health?,"
NBER Working Papers
5570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina Paxson & Norbert Schady, 2005.
"Child Health and Economic Crisis in Peru,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 203-223.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002. "Inequalities in health in developing countries - swimming against the tide?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2795, The World Bank.
- Bhalotra, Sonia, 2010.
"Fatal fluctuations? Cyclicality in infant mortality in India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 7-19, September.
- Bhalotra, Sonia R., 2007. "Fatal Fluctuations? Cyclicality in Infant Mortality in India," IZA Discussion Papers 3086, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sonia Bhalotra, 2007. "Fatal Fluctuations? - Cyclicality in Infant Mortality in India," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 07/181, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Stefano Rosignoli & Luca Tiberti, 2009. "Did globalisation affect health status? A simulation exercise," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 1083-1101.
- Sami Bibi & John Cockburn & Luca Tiberti & Massa Coulibaly, 2009. "The Impact of the Increase in Food Prices on Child Poverty and the Policy Response in Mali," Innocenti Working Papers inwopa09/66, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Alberto Minujin & Enrique Delamonica, 2003. "Mind the Gap! Widening Child Mortality Disparities," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 397-418.
- Cutler, David M. & Knaul, Felicia & Lozano, Rafael & Mendez, Oscar & Zurita, Beatriz, 2002.
"Financial crisis, health outcomes and ageing: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 279-303, May.
- David M. Cutler & Felicia Knaul & Rafael Lozano & Oscar Mendez & Beatriz Zurita, 2000. "Financial Crisis, Health Outcomes and Aging: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," NBER Working Papers 7746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Menchini, Leonardo, 2006. "Health Improvements and Health Inequality during the Last 40 Years," Working Paper Series RP2006/10, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Schady, Norbert, 2008. "Aggregate economic shocks, child schooling and child health," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4701, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucf:inwopa:inwopa633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.