The Impact of the Food and Financial Crises on Child Mortality: The case of sub-Saharan Africa
The years 2000-2007 witnessed an average decline in U5MR in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) faster than that recorded during the prior two decades, including in countries with high HIV prevalence rates due to the spread of preventative and curative measures. Despite their gravity, a comprehensive analysis of the impact of the 2008-2009 crises on child mortality is still lacking, and estimates of the number of additional child deaths caused by the crises in SSA vary enormously.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Menchini, Leonardo, 2006. "Health Improvements and Health Inequality during the Last 40 Years," Working Paper Series RP2006/10, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1996.
"Are Recessions Good For Your Health?,"
NBER Working Papers
5570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Felicia Knaul & Rafael Lozano & Oscar Mendez & Beatriz Zurita, 2000.
"Financial Crisis, Health Outcomes and Aging: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s,"
NBER Working Papers
7746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M. & Knaul, Felicia & Lozano, Rafael & Mendez, Oscar & Zurita, Beatriz, 2002. "Financial crisis, health outcomes and ageing: Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 279-303, May.
- Bhalotra, Sonia R., 2007.
"Fatal Fluctuations? Cyclicality in Infant Mortality in India,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3086, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhalotra, Sonia, 2010. "Fatal fluctuations? Cyclicality in infant mortality in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 7-19, September.
- Sonia Bhalotra, 2007. "Fatal Fluctuations? - Cyclicality in Infant Mortality in India," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 07/181, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1986.
"On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
801, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Park, Joon Y, 1988. "On the Formulation of Wald Tests of Nonlinear Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1065-83, September.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Stefano Rosignoli & Luca Tiberti, 2009. "Did globalisation affect health status? A simulation exercise," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 1083-1101.
- Sami Bibi & John Cockburn & Massa Coulibaly & Luca Tiberti, 2009. "The Impact of the Increase in Food Prices on Child Poverty and the Policy Response in Mali," Papers inwopa09/66, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins & Gabriel Vergara, 2010. "Prioritizing Expenditures for a Recovery for All: A Rapid Review of Public Expenditures in 126 Developing," Working papers 1007, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Alberto Minujin & Enrique Delamonica, 2003. "Mind the Gap! Widening Child Mortality Disparities," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 397-418.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucf:inwopa:inwopa633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.