Ordering Things: The Irish State Administration Database
New theoretical approaches to the state have posed challenges for the comparative analysis of the organizational features of states. The analysis of state bodies and state agencies has largely been confined to the sub-discipline of public administration, and has been resistant to the systematic classification that has made progress possible in other areas of comparative politics. This article argues that there is much to be gained by reconceptualizing state bodies in a comparative context. This paper profiles the classification system underlying the construction of the Irish State Administration Database (ISAD) (Hardiman et al., 2011). This paper sets out a new approach to conceptualizing the organizational and functional features of states. ISAD not only provides a valuable research resource for work on the Irish state, but can also provide a framework for building a comparative research agenda.
|Date of creation:||06 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arts Annexe, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moran, Michael, 2002. "Review Article: Understanding the Regulatory State," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 391-413, April.
- Ciara Brown & Colin Scott, 2010. "Regulation in Ireland: History, Structure, Style and Reform," Working Papers 201044, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"The Quality of Government,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, "undated". "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Paul Roness & Koen Verhoest & Kristin Rubecksen & Muiris MacCarthaigh, 2008. "Autonomy and Regulation of State Agencies: Reinforcement, Indifference or Compensation?," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 155-174, June.
- Colin Scott, 2004. "Regulation in the Age of Governance: The Rise of the Post-Regulatory State," Chapters, in: The Politics of Regulation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.