Structural holes and densely connected communities
It has been empirically shown that structural holes in social networks enable potential large benefits to those individuals who bridge them (Burt, 2004). The pioneering paper Goyal and Vega-Redondo (2007) offers a new incentives based explanation of this phenomenon. But the main equilibrium network of their model does not display a basic empirical regularity: the architecture of social networks is characterized by the existence of densely linked communities loosely connected to one another (Granovetter, 1983). This paper analyzes the conditions under which agents who benefit from bridging structural holes can be sustained in equilibrium networks constituted by densely linked groups.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edificio Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos, Crta. de Valldemossa km 7,5, Palma 07122 (BALEARS)|
Web page: http://www.uib.es/depart/deaweb/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2001.
"Strongly Stable Networks,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2001-3, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 15 Nov 2002.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 1999.
"Bilateralism and free trade,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9953-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2006.
"Network formation with heterogeneous players,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 353-372, February.
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Vega-Redondo, Fernando, 2007. "Structural holes in social networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 460-492, November.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Sumit Joshi, 2006. "Unequal connections," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 34(3), pages 319-349, October.
- Charness, Gary & Corominas-Bosch, Margarida & Frechette, Guillaume R., 2007.
"Bargaining and network structure: An experiment,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 28-65, September.
- Charness, Gary B & Corominas-Bosch, Margarida & FRECHETTE, GUILLAUME, 2005. "Bargaining and Network Structure: An Experiment," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt7v98682v, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Gary Charness & Margarida Corominas-Bosch & Guillaume R. Frechette, 2004. "Bargaining and Network Structure: An Experiment," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 653, Econometric Society.
- Dutta, Bhaskar & Mutuswami, Suresh, 1997.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 322-344, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubi:deawps:32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xisco Oliver)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.