Have Employment Patterns of Older Displaced Workers Improved Since the Late 1970s?
In this paper, we document the post-displacement employment patterns observed between 1979 and 2004 for displaced workers aged 50 to 54. We uncover four key patterns. First, we detect no upward trend in the re-employment rates of male displaced workers in the aggregate, in manufacturing or outside manufacturing. Second, we show that re-employment rates of displaced women generally increased over time. Third, we find substantial evidence that median and average earnings losses of males displaced from manufacturing in recent years (i.e. between 2000 and 2004) were higher than those of comparable cohorts displaced during the 1980s. Part of this increase is related to the lower re-employment rates observed in recent years for males displaced from manufacturing. These lower re-employment rates suggest that, following displacement, aggregate working hours likely fell for males displaced from manufacturing. Finally, we show that median and average earnings losses of women displaced from non-manufacturing firms fell over time.
|Date of creation:||27 May 2010|
|Date of revision:||27 May 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings losses of displaced workers,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Peter Kuhn & Arthur Sweetman, 1998. "Wage loss following displacement: The role of union coverage," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(3), pages 384-400, April.
- Frenette, Marc & Morissette, RenÃ© & Zhang, Xuelin, 2009.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Canadian Evidence from a Large Administrative Database on Firm Closures and Mass Layoffs,"
CLSSRN working papers
clsrn_admin-2009-51, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Sep 2009.
- Zhang, Xuelin & Morissette, Rene & Frenette, Marc, 2007. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers: Canadian Evidence from a Large Administrative Database on Firm Closures and Mass Layoffs," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2007291e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Finnie, Ross & Gray, David, 2009. "Displacement of Older Workers: Re-employment, Hastened Retirement, Disability, or Other Destinations?," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2009-24, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Mar 2009.
- Morissette, Rene, 2004. "Have Permanent Layoff Rates Increased in Canada?," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2004218e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:clssrn:clsrn_admin-2010-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vivian Tran)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.