The materiality of the immaterial. Services sectors and CO2 emissions in Uruguay
This paper analyzes the carbon dioxide emissions of the services sectors subsystem of Uruguay in 2004. Services, with the exception of transport, are often considered intangible because of their low level of direct emissions. However, the provision of services requires inputs produced by other sectors, including several highly material-intensive sectors. Through input output analysis we investigate the relationship between the services subsystem and the rest of the economy as regards carbon dioxide emissions. This approach allows us to study the importance of the set of services branches as a unit in the economic structure as well as to analyze in detail the relationship between the branches. The results depict that services’ direct emissions are the main component, as a consequence of transport-related sectors. However, the pollution that the services subsystem makes the rest of the economy produce is very significant, and it is almost all explained by non- transport-related sectors. This analysis is useful for determining the sectors in which mitigation policies are more effective, and whether they would be better tackled through technical improvements and better practices or through demand policies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Bellaterra. 08193 Bellaterra.|
Phone: 34-93 581 1680
Fax: 34-93 581 2292
Web page: http://www.uab.cat/departament/economia-aplicada/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 1993. "Hierarchies of Regional Sub-Structures and Their Multipliers within Input-output Systems Miyazawa Revisited," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 34(1), pages 33-44, June.
- Charlotte Fourcroy & Faïz Gallouj & Fabrice Decellas, 2011.
"Energy consumption in service industries: Challenging the myth of non-materiality,"
- Fourcroy, Charlotte & Gallouj, Faiz & Decellas, Fabrice, 2012. "Energy consumption in service industries: Challenging the myth of non-materiality," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 155-164.
- Miyazawa, Kenichi, 1966. "Internal and External Matrix Multipliers in the Input-Output Model," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 7(1), pages 38-55, June.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Miyazawa, Kenichi, 1971. "An Analysis of the Interdependence between Service and Goods-Producing Sectors," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 12(1), pages 10-21, June.
- J. S·nchez-ChÛliz & R. Duarte, 2003. "Analysing pollution by way of vertically integrated coefficients, with an application to the water sector in Aragon," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 433-448, May.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2006. "Innovation, services, emplois," Post-Print halshs-00199647, HAL.
- Faïz Gallouj & Faridah Djellal, 2010. "The Handbook of Innovation and Services: A Multi-disciplinary Perspective," Post-Print hal-01111763, HAL.
- Maria Llop & Richard S.J. Tol, 2013.
"Decomposition of sectoral greenhouse gas emissions: a subsystem input-output model for the Republic of Ireland,"
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(9), pages 1316-1331, November.
- Llop, Maria & Tol, Richard S. J., 2011. "Decomposition of Sectoral Greenhouse Gas Emissions: A Subsystem Input-Output Model for the Republic of Ireland," Papers WP398, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Erik Dietzenbacher, 2002. "Interregional Multipliers: Looking Backward, Looking Forward," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 125-136.
- Fritz, Oliver M. & Sonis, Michael & Hewings, Geoffrey J. D., 1998. "A Miyazawa analysis of interactions between polluting and non-polluting sectors," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 289-305, September.
- Round, Jeffrey I, 1985. "Decomposing Multipliers for Economic Systems Involving Regional and World Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 383-99, June.
- Alcántara, Vicent & Padilla, Emilio, 2009. "Input-output subsystems and pollution: An application to the service sector and CO2 emissions in Spain," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 905-914, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uab:wprdea:wpdea1306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miquel Colobran)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.