Determinants of Entrepreneurship in French Regions: The Role of Spatial Heterogeneity
This paper deals with the determinants of enterprise creation in the 22 French regions from 1994 to 2003. We then estimate a dynamic panel data model which allows spatial heterogeneity to be modelled and which is compared with a specification without spatial heterogeneity. The estimation results show that an appropriate consideration of spatial heterogeneity can lead to new insights. The results show: 1) that the Holcombe effect and the income effect have a statistically significant and positive impact for all regions; 2) that the age of the population and the size of the firms have the same negative effects for all regions with the exception of Ile-de-France; 3) that at the threshold of 10%, the refugee effect only concerns 10 regions out of 22; 4) that the effect of public R&D remains insignificant for 17 of the 22 regions, but becomes statistically significant in five regions and has a positive effect in three regions only, these being those which exhibit the highest per capita public R&D expenditure levels. Globally, Anselin's (1990) hypothesis, according to which the presence of spatial heterogeneity casts doubt upon the generalizability of theories in regional science, is thus in part confirmed.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus Dejardin, 2010. "La création d'entreprises et ses rapports au territoire," Post-Print halshs-00618267, HAL.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2012.
"Okun’S Law In The French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201222, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Binet Marie-estelle & Francois Facchini, 2013. "Okun's law in the french regions: a cross-regional comparison," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 420-433.
- Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2013. "Okun's Law in the French Regions: A Cross-Regional Comparison," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00812549, HAL.
- Dean, Thomas J. & Meyer, G. Dale, 1996. "Industry environments and new venture formations in U.S. manufacturing: A conceptual and empirical analysis of demand determinants," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 107-132, March.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Fritsch, M., 1993.
"A Note on the Measurement of Entry Rates,"
93-5, Bergakademie Freiberg Technical University - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00467900 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Koning & François Facchini, 2008. "Quelle place pour l'entrepreneur dans les théories de la croissance régionale ?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00319161, HAL.
- Martin Carree, 2002. "Does Unemployment Affect the Number of Establishments? A Regional Analysis for US States," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 389-398.
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- Cowling, Marc & Mitchell, Peter, 1997. "The Evolution of U.K. Self-Employment: A Study of Government Policy and the Role of the Macroeconomy," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(4), pages 427-42, September.
- François Facchini, 2007.
"Entrepreneur et croissance économique : développements récents,"
Revue d'économie industrielle,
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 3-3.
- François Facchini, 2007. "Entrepreneur et croissance économique : développements récents," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270436, HAL.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Martin Koning & Marie-Estelle Binet & François Facchini, 2010. "Les déterminants de la dynamique entrepreneuriale dans les régions françaises (1994-2003)," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00467900, HAL.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max C. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183511.
- Marcus Dejardin & Michael Fritsch, 2011. "Entrepreneurial dynamics and regional growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 377-382, May.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1999. "Survival of the Fittest? An Analysis of Self-Employment Duration in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C140-55, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:201312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.