Pattern of trade and European economic integration : an unexpected relation
In this article, the degree of integration between European countries is linked to the evolution of the pattern of trade. Evolution of the long-run sensitivity between European outputs is estimated by recursive Fully-Modifed Ordinary Least Squares (FM-OLS) and compared to a recursive index of intra-industry trade. Significant correlations are found between integration and intra-industry trade share. Interestingly, correlations have not all the same sign: positive for one group of countries and negative for others. The explanatory variable seems to be the initial intra-industry trade share. In the last section, a Hansen test is computed and confirms a threshold effect of the pattern of trade on economic integration. Finally, the development of the intra-industry trade due to the creation of the European Monetary Union has a positive e¤ect on integration for some countries but also a negative e¤ect on integration for other European countries.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
- Coe, David T. & Helpman, Elhanan, 1995.
"International R&D spillovers,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 859-887, May.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1993. "International R&D Spillovers," Papers 5-93, Tel Aviv.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v., 1998.
"International R&D spillovers: A comment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1483-1491, September.
- Hao, K. & Inder, B., 1994.
"A Diagnostic Test for Structural Change in Cointegrated Regression Models,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
19/94, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Kang Hao & Inder, Brett, 1996. "Diagnostic test for structural change in cointegrated regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-187, February.
- Fabien Rondeau & Christophe Tavéra, 2005. "Interdépendance macro-économique des pays européens et propagation des chocs conjoncturels d'activité," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 169(3), pages 25-39.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Hurlin, C. & MB.P. N'Diaye, P., 1998. "La methode d'estimation des moindres carres modifies ou fully modified," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.26, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:200614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.