Bourbaki's Destructive Influence on the Mathematization of Economics
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Debreu, Gerard, 1984. "Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 267-278, June.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2011. "Freedom, Anarchy and Conformism in Academic Research," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1123, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1984.
"Economic Theory in the Mathematical Mode,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 267-278, June.
- Nicola Giocoli, 2001. "Fixing the point: the contribution of early game theory to the tool-box of modern economics," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 1-39.
- Punzo, Lionello F., 1991. "The School of Mathematical Formalism and the Viennese Circle of Mathematical Economists," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-18, April.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Athreya, Kartik B., 2014. "Big Ideas in Macroeconomics: A Nontechnical View," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262019736, September.
- Annie-Lou Cot & Jérôme Lallement, 2006. "1859-1959 : de Walras à Debreu, un siècle d'équilibre général," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(3), pages 377-388.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2007. "Variations on the Theme of Conning in Mathematical Economics," Department of Economics Working Papers 0703, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Vela Velupillai, K., 2014. "Constructive and computable Hahn–Banach theorems for the (second) fundamental theorem of welfare economics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 36-39.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2016. "Seven Kinds of Computable and Constructive Infelicities in Economics," New Mathematics and Natural Computation (NMNC), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 219-239, November.
- Nathalie BERTA, 2000. "Le marché dans les modèles de Gérard Debreu," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2000033, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Giocoli, Nicola, 2005. "Mathematics as the role model for neoclassical economics (Blanqui Lecture)," MPRA Paper 33806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael S. Harr'e & Adam Harris & Scott McCallum, 2019. "Singularities and Catastrophes in Economics: Historical Perspectives and Future Directions," Papers 1907.05582, arXiv.org.
- Alain Béraud, 2014.
"Le développement de la théorie de l'équilibre général. Les apports d'Allais et de Hicks,"
Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 65(1), pages 125-158.
- Alain Béraud, 2013. "Le Developpement De La Theorie De L’Equilibre General Les Apports D’Allais Et De Hicks," THEMA Working Papers 2013-09, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Alain Béraud, 2014. "Le développement de la théorie de l'équilibre général. Les apports d'Allais et de Hicks," Post-Print halshs-00868006, HAL.
- Vipin P. Veetil & Richard E. Wagner, 2015. "Treating Macro Theory as Systems Theory: How Might it Matter?," Advances in Austrian Economics, in: Christopher J. Coyne & Virgil Henry Storr (ed.), New Thinking in Austrian Political Economy, volume 19, pages 119-143, Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Vela Velupillai, K., 2002. "Effectivity and constructivity in economic theory," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 307-325, November.
- Juan Carlos de Pablo, 1999. "Economists and Economic Policy: Argentina Since 1958," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 149, Universidad del CEMA.
- K.Vela Velupillai, 2014. "Constructive and Computable Hahn-Banach Theorems for the (Second) Fundamental Theorem of Welfare Economics," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1403, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2007. "Sraffa's Mathematical Economics - A Constructive Interpretation," Department of Economics Working Papers 0702, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Lall B. Ramrattan, 1994. "Advertising Rivalry in the U. S. Automobile Industry: A Test of Bain's Hypothesis," The American Economist, Sage Publications, vol. 38(2), pages 40-51, October.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2008. "The Mathematization of Macroeconomics: A Recursive Revolution," Department of Economics Working Papers 0807, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- K.Vela Velupillai, 2011. "Negishi's Theorem and Method," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1129, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Guglielmo Chiodi, 2012. "On Richard Goodwin’s Elementary Economics from the Higher Standpoint," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1219, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- K. Vela Velupillai, 2013. "Towards an Intuitionistic Constructive Mathematical Economics," ASSRU Discussion Papers 1304, ASSRU - Algorithmic Social Science Research Unit.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2013. "Global invertibility of excess demand functions," MPRA Paper 47300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
KeywordsBourbakism; Polish School of Mathematics; Hilbert’s Dogma; Debreu; Mathematical Economics.;
All these keywords.
- B23 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Econometrics; Quantitative and Mathematical Studies
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C69 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Other
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2012-02-01 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2012-02-01 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2012-02-01 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpas:1201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (firstname.lastname@example.org). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/detreit.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.