Integrated-quantile-based estimation for first price auction models
This paper considers nonparametric estimation of first-price auction models under the monotonicity restriction on the bidding strategy. Based on an integrated-quantile representation of the first-order condition, we propose a tuning-parameter-free estimator for the valuation quantile function. We establish its cube-root-n consistency and asymptotic distribution under weaker smoothness assumptions than those typically assumed in the empirical literature. If the latter are true, we also provide a trimming-free smoothed estimator and show that it is asymptotically normal and achieves the optimal rate of Guerre, Perrigne, and Vuong (2000). We illustrate our methods using Monte Carlo simulations and an empirical study of the California highway procurements auctions.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario|
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew Shum, 2000. "Nonparametric Tests for Common Values," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1598, Econometric Society.
- Nianqing Liu & Yao Luo, 2014. "A Nonparametric Test of Exogenous Participation in First-Price Auctions," Working Papers tecipa-519, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2012.
"Quantile-based nonparametric inference for first-price auctions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 345-357.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2008. "Quantile-Based Nonparametric Inference for First-Price Auctions," Microeconomics.ca working papers marmer-08-01-17-12-16-12, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 16 May 2013.
- Marmer, Vadim & Shneyerov, Artyom, 2006. "Quantile-Based Nonparametric Inference for First-Price Auctions," MPRA Paper 5899, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Mar 2006.
- Brent R. Hickman & Timothy P. Hubbard, 2015. "Replacing Sample Trimming with Boundary Correction in Nonparametric Estimation of First‐Price Auctions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(5), pages 739-762, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:tecipa-539. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.