Task Trade and the Size Distribution of Cities
ã€€ã€€ Taking account of the increasing importance of task trade in urban contexts, this paper provides a model of a system of cities in which ex ante identical locations specialize in tasks that differ in their skill intensity, resulting in a unique size distribution of cities. The necessary and sufficient condition for a power law including Zipf's law is derived, and a quantitative analysis shows that the model is consistent with the size distribution of U.S. cities. A welfare analysis is also conducted, suggesting excess agglomeration with sizable welfare loss under laissez-faire.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Behrens, Kristian & Mion, Giordano & Murata, Yasusada & Suedekum, Jens, 2014.
DICE Discussion Papers
160, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Behrens, Kristian & Mion, Giordano & Murata, Yasusada & Südekum, Jens, 2011. "Spatial frictions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8572, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kristian Behrens & Giordano Mion & Yasusada Murata & Jens Südekum, 2011. "Spatial Frictions," CEP Discussion Papers dp1108, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Behrens, Kristian & Mion, Giordano & Murata, Yasusada & Suedekum, Jens, 2013. "Spatial Frictions," IZA Discussion Papers 7175, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998.
"Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999. "Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Guy Michaels & Ferdinand Rauch & Stephen J. Redding, 2013. "Tasks and Technology in the United States 1880-2000," NBER Working Papers 18715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gabaix, Xavier & Ioannides, Yannis M., 2004.
"The evolution of city size distributions,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 53, pages 2341-2378
- Xavier Gabaix & Yannis M. Ioannides, 2003. "The Evolution of City Size Distributions," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0310, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Guy Michaels & Ferdinand Rauch & Stephen J. Redding, 2013.
"Task specialization in U.S. cities from 1880-2000,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
48925, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Michaels, Guy & Rauch, Ferdinand & Redding, Stephen J., 2013. "Task Specialization in U.S. Cities from 1880-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 9308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ferdinand Rauch & Guy Michaels & Stephen J. Redding, 2013. "Task Specialization in U.S. Cities from 1880-2000," Economics Series Working Papers 638, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Guy Michaels & Ferdinand Rauch & Stephen J. Redding, 2013. "Task Specialization in U.S. Cities from 1880-2000," CEP Discussion Papers dp1186, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Morris A. Davis & François Ortalo-Magné, 2007.
"Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2156, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lutz Hendricks, 2011. "The Skill Composition Of U.S. Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Directed Technical Change,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(4), pages 781-809.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-97, December.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2009.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 255-294, 05.
- Davis, James C. & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2008.
"The agglomeration of headquarters,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 445-460, September.
- Akos Valentinyi & Berthold Herrendorf, 2008.
"Measuring Factor Income Shares at the Sector Level,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 820-835, October.
- Akos Valentinyi & Berthold Herrendorf, 2008. "Measuring Factor Income Shares at the Sectoral Level," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0803, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Pflüger, Michael & Tabuchi, Takatoshi, 2010. "The size of regions with land use for production," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 481-489, November.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-684.
- Wen‐Tai Hsu, 2012. "Central Place Theory and City Size Distribution," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(563), pages 903-932, 09.
- Henderson, J. Vernon & Wang, Hyoung Gun, 2007. "Urbanization and city growth: The role of institutions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 283-313, May.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "International outsourcing and factor prices with multistage production," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages C166-C185, 03.
- J.V. Henderson, 1972.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
75, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gilles Duranton, 2007. "Urban Evolutions: The Fast, the Slow, and the Still," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 197-221, March.
- Huggett, Mark, 1993. "The risk-free rate in heterogeneous-agent incomplete-insurance economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 953-969.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2013cf886. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.