Exclusive Dealing and the Market Power of Buyers
This paper examines the effects of exclusive dealing contracts offered by an incumbent distributor. The effectiveness of exclusive dealing contracts offered by distributors is quite different from those offered by incumbent manufacturers. The traditional literature has focused solely on exclusive dealing contracts made by incumbent manufacturers and has derived multiple equilibria within homogeneous price competition models. In contrast, this paper asserts that exclusive dealing contracts made by a distributor generate a unique equilibrium and that an efficient entrant must be excluded under the equilibrium as long as distributors have sufficient bargaining power.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abito, Jose Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2008. "Exclusive dealing with imperfect downstream competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 227-246, January.
- Chiara Fumagalli & Massimo Motta, 2006.
"Exclusive Dealing and Entry, when Buyers Compete,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 785-795, June.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Paul Dobson & Michael Waterson, 1999. "Retailer power: recent developments and policy implications," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 133-164, 04.
- Chiara Fumagalli & Massimo Motta & Lars Persson, 2006.
"Exclusive dealing, entry, and mergers,"
CSEF Working Papers
153, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Fumagalli, Chiara & Motta, Massimo & Persson, Lars, 2005. "Exclusive Dealing, Entry and Mergers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4902, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chiara Fumagalli & Massimo Motta & Thomas Roende, 2009. "Exclusive dealing, entry, and mergers," CSEF Working Papers 225, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2010cf748. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.