Measuring the Benefits of Mobile Number Portability
Increasing numbers of countries require mobile telephone networks to offer mobile number portability (MNP). MNP allows customers who wish to switch mobile operator to keep their mobile numbers, avoiding the costs of switching to new numbers. Ex ante assessments suggest that MNP should reduce switching costs and strengthen competition. In this paper, we test MNP's impact on market outcomes using international time-series cross-section data. We find that MNP significantly increases average mobile telephony retail prices and churn (a proxy for switching).
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P. & Woodbridge, Graeme, 2001. "Numbers to the people: regulation, ownership and local number portability," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 167-180, June.
- Aoki, Reiko & Small, John, 2010. "The Economics of Number Portability: Switching Costs and Two-Part Tariffs," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 483, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Thomas W. Hazlett & Roberto E. Muñoz, 2009. "A welfare analysis of spectrum allocation policies," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 424-454.
- Buehler, Stefan & Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus, 2006.
"Mobile number portability in Europe,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 385-399, August.
- Buehler, Stefan & Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus, 2005. "Mobile Number Portability in Europe," Working Paper 41/2005, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Stefan Buehler & Justus Haucap, 2004. "Mobile Number Portability," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 223-238, 09.
- Stefan Buehler & Justus Haucap, 2003. "Mobile Number Portability," SOI - Working Papers 0303, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2003.
- Buehler, Stefan & Haucap, Justus, 2003. "Mobile Number Portability," Working Paper 17/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2000. "Mobile network competition, customer ignorance and fixed-to-mobile call prices," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 301-327, December.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000. "Mobile Network Competition, Customer Ignorance and Fixed-to-Mobile Call Prices," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 734, The University of Melbourne.
- repec:reg:rpubli:348 is not listed on IDEAS
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Padilla A. Jorge, 1995. "Revisiting Dynamic Duopoly with Consumer Switching Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 520-530, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:tep2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.