Demand Elasticities for Mobile Telecommunications in Austria
This paper analyses price elasticities in the Austrian market for mobile telecommunications services using data on firm specific tariffs in the period between January 1998 and March 2002. Dynamic panel data regressions are used to estimate short-run and long-run demand elasticities for business customers and for private consumers with both postpaid contracts and prepaid cards.We find that business customers have a higher elasticity of demand than private consumers, where postpaid customers tend to have a higher demand elasticity than prepaid customers. Also demand is generally more elastic in the long run. In addition, the paper also provides estimates for firm-specific demand elasticities which range from –0.47 to –1.1.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae, 2000. "Simultaneous Equations With Incomplete Panels," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 269-279, April.
- Gustavo, Manfrim & Sergio, Da Silva, 2006.
"Estimating demand elasticities of fixed telephony in Brazil,"
1978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Da Silva & Gustavo Manfrim, 2007. "Estimating demand elasticities of fixed telephony in Brazil," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(5), pages 1-9.
- Buehler, Stefan & Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus, 2005.
"Mobile Number Portability in Europe,"
41/2005, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Buehler, Stefan & Haucap, Justus, 2003.
"Mobile Number Portability,"
17/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae, 1994. "Incomplete panels : A comparative study of alternative estimators for the unbalanced one-way error component regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 67-89, June.
- Das, Pinaki & Srinivasan, P. V., 1999. "Demand for telephone usage in India," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 177-194, July.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "Hypothesis Testing with Efficient Method of Moments Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 777-87, October.
- Tommaso Valletti, 2003. "Is Mobile Telephony a Natural Oligopoly?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 47-65, February.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Spectrum limits and competition in mobile markets: the role of licence fees," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 59-70, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:5:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.