Real Interest Rate Equalisation: Some Evidence from East Asian Economi es
There has been on-going interest in testing the real interest rate equalisation (RIE) proposition in the International Finance literature. Previous studies produce mixed results for the RIE proposition. This paper examines empirically the linkage of real interest rates of the East Asian economies using the cointegration regression technique. We find that there was an increase in the financial linkages in the East Asia during the 1990s, which is consistent with previous studies, and that the real interest rates in East Asia are cointegrated leaving the suspicion that there may be only one common stochastic trend driving them., although the RIE hypothesis is rejected. However, unlike previous studies, the financial linkages in major Asian economies are found to be weaker than among all the East Asian economies.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 +2 9351 5055
Fax: 61 +2 9351 4341
Web page: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence G. Goldberg & James R. Lothian & John Okunev, 1997.
"Has International Financial Integration Increased?,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-040, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Lawrence Goldberg & James Lothian & John Okunev, 2003. "Has International Financial Integration Increased?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 299-317, July.
- Lawrence G. Goldberg & James R. Lothian & John Okunev, 2003. "Has International Financial Integration Increased?," International Finance 0311004, EconWPA.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1985. "Some evidence on the international inequality of real interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 189-208, June.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Grennes, Thomas J., 1994. "Real interest rate equalization and the integration of international financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 107-124, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- Chinn, Menzie D & Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1995.
"Who drives real interest rates around the Pacific Rim: the USA or Japan?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 801-821, December.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1995. "Who drives real interest rates around the Pacific Rim: the US or Japan?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Hutchison, Michael M. & Singh, Nirvikar, 1997. "Equilibrium Real Interest Rate Linkages: The United States and Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 208-227, June.
- Robert E. Cumby & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1987.
"The International Linkage of Real Interest Rates: The European - U.S. Connection,"
NBER Working Papers
1423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cumby, Robert E. & Mishkin, Frederic S., 1986. "The international linkage of real interest rates: The European-US connection," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Joaquin Pi-Anguita, 1999. "A cointegration approach to capital mobility: Evidence for Belgium," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 27(1), pages 53-58, March.
- Anoruo, Emmanuel & Ramchander, Sanjay & Thiewes, Harold F., 2002. "International linkage of interest rates: Evidence from the emerging economies of Asia," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 217-235.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:syd:wpaper:2123/7654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vanessa Holcombe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.