Means-tested Age-Pension and Saving
We investigate whether households adjust retirement savings decisions in re-sponse to changes in the means-tested public pension plans. The policy in question lowered the taper rate of the assets test on the age pension in Australia in 2007. We use HILDA, a detailed micro panel data-set for Australian households and focus on the age group between 50 and 64 in 2006, prior to the reform. We compare savings behaviours of those who were constrained to increase financial wealth because of the assets test prior to the reform with those who were not constrained, and find that assets tests do have a perverse impact on saving.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajeev Dehejia, 1999.
"Program Evaluation as a Decision Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
6954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alex Maynard & Jiaping Qiu, 2009. "Public insurance and private savings: who is affected and by how much?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 282-308, 03.
- Powers, Elizabeth T., 1998. "Does means-testing welfare discourage saving? evidence from a change in AFDC policy in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 33-53, April.
- Gittleman Maury, 2011. "Medicaid and Wealth: A Re-Examination," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-25, November.
- David Neumark & Elizabeth Powers, 1997.
"The Effect of Means-Tested Income Support for the Elderly on Pre-Retirement Saving: Evidence from the SSI Program in the U.S,"
NBER Working Papers
6303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neumark, David & Powers, Elizabeth, 1998. "The effect of means-tested income support for the elderly on pre-retirement saving: evidence from the SSI program in the U.S," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 181-206, May.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:332 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dr Justin van de Ven, 2009. "Optimal Design of Means Tested Retirement Benefits," NIESR Discussion Papers 332, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Dr Justin van de Ven & Dr Martin Weale, 2006. "Means Testing Retirement Benefits: fostering equity or discouraging savings?," NIESR Discussion Papers 283, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Vincent Hildebrand, 2009.
"Portfolio Allocation in the Face of a Means-Tested Public Pension,"
Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers
260, McMaster University.
- Deborah A. Cobb‐Clark & Vincent A. Hildebrand, 2011. "Portfolio Allocation In The Face Of A Means‐Tested Public Pension," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(3), pages 536-560, 09.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Hildebrand, Vincent A., 2009. "Portfolio Allocation in the Face of a Means-Tested Public Pension," IZA Discussion Papers 4481, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jonathan Gruber & Aaron Yelowitz, 1997.
"Public Health Insurance and Private Savings,"
NBER Working Papers
6041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & Aaron Yelowitz, 1997. "Public Health Insurance and Private Savings," UCLA Economics Working Papers 772, UCLA Department of Economics.
- J. Gruber & A. Yelowitz, . "Public Health Insurance and Private Savings," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1135-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Jonathan Gruber & Aaron S. Yelowitz, 1998. "Public Health Insurance and Private Savings," JCPR Working Papers 42, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- James Sefton & Justin vandeVen, 2009. "Optimal Design of Means Tested Retirement Benefits," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(541), pages F461-F481, November.
- James Sefton & Justin vandeVen & Martin Weale, 2008. "Means Testing Retirement Benefits: fostering equity or discouraging savings?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 556-590, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2014-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.