Prices over the Product Life Cycle: An Empirical Analysis
This paper explores the extent to which goods follow systematic pricing patterns over their life cycle. The theoretical literature, and anecdotal evidence, suggests that new products are often introduced at high prices which decline as the good ages while, older goods exit the market at a discount. We outline and apply a smoothing-spline approach to the estimation of life cycle pricing effects using data on two different types of goods; supermarket products (beer, canned soup and cereals) and high-tech goods (desktop and laptop computers, and personal digital assistants). We interpret these results within a simple conceptual framework and find evidence for the existence of significant life cycle pricing effects. This implies that hedonic pricing functions which exclude age are misspecified. Furthermore, in order to eliminate bias price index samples must be constructed carefully. Using a simulation we show that the bias introduced by the traditional match-model method may be non-trivial.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Scanner Data and Price Indexes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen03-1, Enero.
- Kees Jan Van Garderen & Chandra Shah, 2002. "Exact interpretation of dummy variables in semilogarithmic equations," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 149-159, June.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2003. "Hedonic Regressions. A Consumer Theory Approach," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 317-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Melser, 2006. "Accounting For The Effects Of New And Disappearing Goods Using Scanner Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(4), pages 547-568, December.
- Jerry Hausman, 1997.
"Cellular Telephone, New Products and the CPI,"
NBER Working Papers
5982, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Zvi Griliches & Joshua G. Rosett, 1992.
"Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence From Prescription Pharmaceutical Preparations,"
NBER Working Papers
4009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Griliches, Zvi & Rosett, Joshua G, 1993. "Auditing the Producer Price Index: Micro Evidence from Prescription Pharamceutical Preparations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 251-264, July.
- Winston Koh, 2006.
"The micro-foundations of intertemporal price discrimination,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 27(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2005. "The Micro-foundations of Intertemporal Price Discrimination," Microeconomics Working Papers 22456, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2005. "The Micro-foundations of Intertemporal Price Discrimination," Working Papers 04-2005, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Helen X.H. Bao & Alan T.K. Wan, 2004. "On the Use of Spline Smoothing in Estimating Hedonic Housing Price Models: Empirical Evidence Using Hong Kong Data," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Margaret Kyle & Davina Ling, 2003. "The Long Shadow of Patent Expiration. Generic Entry and Rx-to-OTC Switches," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 229-274 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2007. "Comparing House Prices Across Regions and Time: An Hedonic Approach," Discussion Papers 2007-33, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Jack Triplett, 2004. "Handbook on Hedonic Indexes and Quality Adjustments in Price Indexes: Special Application to Information Technology Products," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2004/9, OECD Publishing.
- Michael Landsberger & Isaac Meilijson, 1985. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination and Sales Strategy under Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 424-430, Autumn.
- Reinsdorf, Marshall B, 1999. "Using Scanner Data to Construct CPI Basic Component Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 152-160, April.
- Gordon, Robert J & Griliches, Zvi, 1997. "Quality Change and New Products," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 84-88, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2008-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.