Labor Cost Adjustment: Evidence From a Survey of Slovak Firms
Building on a unique survey of how Slovak firms adjust wages and prices, this paper studies the reduction of labour costs in two forms: base wage cuts and alternative margins for labour cost reduction. Anecdotal evidence suggests that wage-cutting by firms occurs more frequently in Slovakia than in any other country and that the use of alternative margins for labour cost reduction is also quite prevalent in Slovakia. Regression results support the strong relationship between the use of alternative margins and wage rigidities. I find that the use of any alternative margin is on average 30% more likely in firms facing nominal wage rigidity that in firms with flexible wages.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Imricha Karvasa 1, 813 25 Bratislava|
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Babetskii, 2007.
"Aggregate Wage Flexibility in Selected New EU Member States,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1916, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ian Babetskii, 2006. "Aggregate Wage Flexibility in Selected New EU Member States," Working Papers 2006/1, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1990.
" The Wage Curve,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 215-35.
- Keeney, Mary & Lawless, Martina, 2010.
"Wage setting and wage flexibility in Ireland - Results from a firm-level survey,"
Working Paper Series
1181, European Central Bank.
- Keeney, Mary J. & Lawless, Martina, 2010. "Wage Setting and Wage Flexibility in Ireland:Results from a Firm-level Survey," Research Technical Papers 1/RT/10, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Patrick Lünnemann & Ladislav Wintr, 2009.
"Wages are flexible, aren?t they? evidence from monthly micro wage data,"
BCL working papers
39, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Lünnemann, Patrick & Wintr, Ladislav, 2009. "Wages are flexible aren't they? Evidence from monthly micro wage data," Working Paper Series 1074, European Central Bank.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Robert Mundell, 1963. "Inflation and Real Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 280.
- Pavel Gertler, 2010. "The wage curve: A panel data view of labour market segments," Working and Discussion Papers WP 3/2010, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
- Pavel Gertler & Matúš Senaj, 2010.
"Downward Wage Rigidities in Slovakia,"
Czech Economic Review,
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 4(1), pages 079-101, March.
- Filippo Altissimo & Michael Ehrmann & Frank Smets, 2006. "Inflation persistence and price-setting behaviour in the euro area – a summary of the IPN evidence," Occasional Paper Series 46, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:svk:wpaper:1019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.