Competitiveness Factors of Slovak Companies
This paper examines factors affecting the competitiveness of leading Slovak companies, using results obtained through a questionnaire survey. The results imply that companies are aware of the key role of consumers. By putting emphasis on production modernisation and extensive use of information and communication technologies, the companies are successful in placing their products on foreign markets, but the final customers are beyond their reach. The results confirm that the most important factors of competitiveness are intra-company factors, above all company management and cost reduction. Other factors considered to have a strong impact are the EU membership of Slovakia and energy costs. The planned adoption of the euro in Slovakia was seen as increasing competitiveness. Companies are starting to realise the need for transition to a higher level of competitiveness, one based on innovation. Among the main threats to competitiveness is the potential exacerbation of labour market imbalances.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Imricha Karvasa 1, 813 25 Bratislava|
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin Hitt, 1996.
"Paradox Lost? Firm-Level Evidence on the Returns to Information Systems Spending,"
INFORMS, vol. 42(4), pages 541-558, April.
- Brynjolfsson, Erik. & Hitt, Lorin M., 1995. "Paradox lost? : firm-level evidence on the returns to information systems spending," Working papers 3786-95., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Oral, Muhittin & Cinar, Unver & Chabchoub, Habib, 1999. "Linking industrial competitiveness and productivity at the firm level," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Piergiuseppe Morone & Giuseppina Testa, 2005. "What Makes Small and Medium Enterprises Competitive," Quaderni DSEMS 18-2005, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:svk:wpaper:1014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.