Revisiting Mrs. Machlup's Wardrobe: The Accumulation of International Reserves, 1992-2001
A fature of the late 1990s was the accumulation of International reserves in many countries. Against the background of this phenomenon, in what follows we investigate the following questions: how widely has the tendency to accumulate reserves been seen? Does the incidence of a currency crisis increase the subsequent demand for reserves? Do countries make choices between different combinations of exchange rate regime and reserve holding? Does an arrangement with the IMF encourage countries subsequently to build up reserves more than they otherwise would have done? Do different patterns emerge depending upon the measure of reserves used? In addressing the above questions, we find significant support for the 'Mrs. Machlup's Wardrobe Theory' of international reserves, which purports that irrespective of the amount of reserves countries have accumulated, they continue to add to their stock.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Applied Economics Letters|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Guildford, Surrey GU2 5XH|
Phone: (01483) 259380
Fax: (01483) 259548
Web page: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004.
"The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation,"
14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alex Mourmouras & Anna Ivanova & George C. Anayotos & Wolfgang Mayer, 2003. "What Determines the Implementation of IMF-Supported Programs?," IMF Working Papers 03/8, International Monetary Fund.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy P. Marion, 2002.
"International Reserve Holdings with Sovereign Risk and Costly Tax Collection,"
NBER Working Papers
9154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy Marion, 2004. "International Reserve Holdings with Sovereign Risk and Costly Tax Collection," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 569-591, 07.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy P., 2003. "International Reserve Holdings with Sovereign Risk and Costly Tax Collection," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt9s7978n1, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy P., 2003. "International Reserve Holdings with Sovereign Risk and Costly Tax Collection," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9s7978n1, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Clark, Peter B, 1970. "Optimum International Reserves and the Speed of Adjustment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 356-76, March-Apr.
- Chui, Michael & Gai, Prasanna, 2005. "Private Sector Involvement and International Financial Crises: An Analytical Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199267750, June.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1981. "Optimal International Reserves: A Stochastic Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 507-14, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sur:surrec:1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ioannis Lazopoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.