Welfare Dynamics in Canada: The Role of Individual Attributes and Economic-policy Variables
In this paper, Canadian longitudinal tax-based data are used to estimate models of the receipt of social assistance, or welfare, in a given year as well as the underlying dynamics: entry onto social assistance from one year to another, exit from a given spell of social assistance and re-entry onto social assistance after the end of a previous spell.
|Date of creation:||25 Oct 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis N. Christofides & Thanasis Stengos & Robert Swidinsky, 1997.
"Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 595-621, August.
- Christofides, L.N. & Stengos, T. & Swidinsky, R., 1996. "Welfare Participation and Labour Market Behaviour in Canada," Working Papers 1996-6, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Garry F. Barrett & Michael I. Cragg, 1998. "An Untold Story: The Characteristics of Welfare Use in British Columbia," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 165-188, February.
- Lindbeck, Assar, 1995.
"Hazardous Welfare-State Dynamics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 9-15, May.
- Barrett, Garry F., 2000. "The effect of educational attainment on welfare dependence: Evidence from Canada," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 209-232, August.
- Beach, Charles M. & Finnie, Ross, 2004.
"A Longitudinal Analysis of Earnings Change in Canada,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
2004227e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Charles Beach & Ross Finnie, 2004. "A longitudinal analysis of earnings change in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 219-240, February.
- Finnie, R. & Gray, D., 1998. "The Dynamics of the Earnings Distribution in Canada: An Econometric Analysis," Working Papers 9803e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Gunderson, Morley & Melino, Angelo, 1990. "The Effects of Public Policy on Strike Duration," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(3), pages 295-316, July.
- Jennifer Stewart & Martin D. Dooley, 1999.
"The Duration of Spells on Welfare and Off Welfare Among Lone Mothers in Ontario,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 25(s1), pages 47-72, November.
- Jennifer Stewart & Martin Dooley, "undated". "The Duration of Spells on Welfare and Off-welfare among Lone Mothers in Ontario," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 21, McMaster University.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Roberge, Hélène, 1998.
"The Dynamics of Welfare Participation in Québec,"
Cahiers de recherche
9817, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Mary Jo Bane & David T. Ellwood, 1986. "Slipping into and out of Poverty: The Dynamics of Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-353, July.
- Moffitt, Robert A., 2002.
"Welfare programs and labor supply,"
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 34, pages 2393-2430
- Rebecca M. Blank, 2002.
"Evaluating Welfare Reform in the United States,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1105-1166, December.
- Michael Charette & Ronald Meng, 1994. "The Determinants of Welfare Participation of Female Heads of Household in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 290-306, May.
- Ross Finnie & Arthur Sweetman, 2003. "Poverty dynamics: empirical evidence for Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 291-325, May.
- Lars Osberg, 2000. "Poverty in Canada and the United States: measurement, trends, and implications," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 847-877, November.