Incomes Policies and the Norwegian Economy 1973-93
During the second half of the 1970s there was massive government interference in wage and price formation in Norway. Incomes policies changed in the first half of the 1980s - the hey days of "dynamic tax policies" in Norway - and during the second half of the 1980s new direct interventions in wage formation were implemented. These episodes of incomes policies are discussed and their empirical importance is assessed in the econometric price and wage equations of a large scale macroeconometric model of the Norwegian economy. Model simulations show that while price regulations generally led to an expansion of output and loss of cost competitiveness, wage regulation produced both output expansion and gain in competitiveness. The dynamic tax policy implemented in Norway was less successful and led to both higher prices and wages as well as lower output.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elin Berg & Snorre Kverndokk & Knut Einar Rosendahl, 1996. "Market Power, International CO2 Taxation and Petroleum Wealth," Discussion Papers 170, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rolf Aaberge & Ugo Colombino & Steinar Strøm, 1996. "Welfare Effects of Proportional Taxation: Empirical Evidence from Italy, Norway and Sweden," Discussion Papers 171, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Pål Boug & Knut Anton Mork & Trond Tjemsland, 1995. "Financial Deregulation and Consumer Behavior: the Norwegian Experience," Discussion Papers 156, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Björklund, Anders & Jäntti, Markus & Palme, Mårten & Pedersen, Peder & Smith, Nina & Wennemo, Tom, 1996.
"Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
98, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Aug 2002.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2002. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 443-69, December.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Mårten Palme & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Discussion Papers 168, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.