'Chariots of Fire': The Evolution of Tank Technology, 1915-1945
We revisit the notion of technological trajectories by means of a detailed case-study of the evolution of tank technology between 1915 and 1945. We use principal component analysis to analyze the distribution of technological characteristics and how they map into specific service characteristics. We find that, despite the existence of differences in technical leadership, tank designs of different countries show a high degree of overlap and closeness along a common technological trajectory. In the conclusions, we speculate on whether this pattern can be explained by common heuristics that influenced the rate and direction of design activities or by doctrinal viewpoints influencing the development and use of tanks on the battlefield.
|Date of creation:||24 Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza dei Martiri della Liberta, 33, 56127 Pisa|
Web page: http://www.lem.sssup.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frenken, Koen & Saviotti, Paolo P. & Trommetter, Michel, 1999. "Variety and niche creation in aircraft, helicopters, motorcycles and microcomputers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 469-488, June.
- repec:wsi:acsxxx:v:10:y:2007:i:01:n:s0219525907000945 is not listed on IDEAS
- Phuong Nguyen & Pier-Paolo Saviotti & Michel Trommetter & Bernard Bourgeois, 2005.
"Variety and the evolution of refinery processing,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 469-500, June.
- Nguyen, P. & Saviotti, P.P. & Trommetter, M. & Bourgeois, B., 2004. "Variety and the evolution of refinery processing," Working Papers 200428, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Bernard Bourgeois & Phuong Nguyen & Pier Paolo Saviotti & Michel Trommetter, 2005. "Variety and the evolution of refinery processing," Post-Print halshs-00003937, HAL.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1997. "Opportunities, Incentives and the Collective Patterns of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1530-1547, September.
- Bart Verspagen, 2007.
"Mapping Technological Trajectories As Patent Citation Networks: A Study On The History Of Fuel Cell Research,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 93-115.
- Verspagen,Bart, 2005. "Mapping Technological Trajectories as Patent Citation Networks. A Study on the History of Fuel Cell Research," Research Memorandum 019, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Verspagen, B., 2005. "Mapping Technological Trajectories as Patent Citation Networks. A Study on the History of Fuel Cell Research," Working Papers 05.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Sahal, Devendra, 1985. "Technological guideposts and innovation avenues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 61-82, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-1171, September.
- Saviotti, P. P. & Metcalfe, J. S., 1984. "A theoretical approach to the construction of technological output indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 141-151, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Koen Frenken & Alessandro Nuvolari, 2004. "The early development of the steam engine: an evolutionary interpretation using complexity theory," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 419-450, April.
- Frenken, K. & Nuvolari, A., 2003. "The Early Development of the Steam Engine: An Evolutionary Interpretation using Complexity Theory," Working Papers 03.15, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Mina, A. & Ramlogan, R. & Tampubolon, G. & Metcalfe, J.S., 2007. "Mapping evolutionary trajectories: Applications to the growth and transformation of medical knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 789-806, June.
- Nick von Tunzelmann & Franco Malerba & Paul Nightingale & Stan Metcalfe, 2008. "Technological paradigms: past, present and future," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 467-484, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssa:lemwps:2006/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.