Expectations Structure in Asset Pricing Experiments
Notwithstanding the recognized importance of traders expectations incharacterizing the observed market dynamics, for instance theformation of speculative bubbles and crashes on financial markets,little attention has been devoted so far by economists to a rigorousstudy of expectation formation in the laboratory. In this work wedescribe a laboratory experiment on the emergence and coordination ofexpectations in a pure exchange framework. We largely base our studyon previous experiments on expectation formation in a controlledlaboratory environment by Cars Hommes, Joep Sonnemans, Ian Tuinstraand Henk van de Velden (CeNDEF Working Paper, Amsterdam, 2002). Weconsider a simple two asset economy with a riskless bond and a riskystock. Each market is composed of six experimental subjects who act asfinancial advisors of myopic risk-averse utility maximizing investorsand are rewarded according to how well their forecasts perform in themarket. The participants are asked to predict not only the price ofthe risky asset at time t+1, as in Hommes et al., but also theconfidence interval of their prediction, knowing the past realizationsof the price until time t-1. The realized asset price is derived fromaWalrasian market equilibrium equation, unknown to the subjects, withfeedback from individual forecasts. Subjects earnings are proportionalto the increase in their wealth level. With respect to previousexperiments that did not include an explicit evaluation of risk byparticipants, we observe a higher price volatility, a decreasedlikelihood of bubble dynamics and, in general, a higher heterogeneityof predictions.
|Date of creation:||21 Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.lem.sssup.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark van Boening & Vernon L. Smith & Charissa P. Wellford, 2000. "Dividend timing and behavior in laboratory asset markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 567-583.
- Charles Noussair & Stephane Robin & Bernard Ruffieux, 2001. "Price Bubbles in Laboratory Asset Markets with Constant Fundamental Values," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 87-105, June.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Giovanna Devetag, 2003.
"Expectations Structure in Asset Pricing Experiments,"
ROCK Working Papers
022, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 12 Jun 2008.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Giovanna Devetag, 2005. "Expectations structure in asset pricing experiments," CEEL Working Papers 0503, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Maria Giovanna Devetag, 2003. "Expectations Structure in Asset Pricing Experiments," LEM Papers Series 2003/19, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cars Hommes & Joep Sonnemans & Jan Tuinstra & Henk van de Velden, 2005.
"Coordination of Expectations in Asset Pricing Experiments,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 955-980.
- Cars Hommes & Joep Sonnemans & Jan Tuinstra & Henk van de Velden, 2004. "Coordination of Expectations in Asset Pricing Experiments," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 119, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Noussair, C. & Robin, S. & Ruffieux, B., 1998. "Bubbles and Anti-Crashes in Laboratory Asset Markets with Constant Fundamental Values," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1119, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Porter, David P & Smith, Vernon L, 1995. "Futures Contracting and Dividend Uncertainty in Experimental Asset Markets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 509-41, October.
- Giulio Bottazzi, 2002. "A Simple Micro-Model of Market Dynamics Part I: The "Homogenous Agents" Deterministic Limit," LEM Papers Series 2002/10, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Hommes, Cars & Sonnemans, Joep & Tuinstra, Jan & van de Velden, Henk, 2008. "Expectations and bubbles in asset pricing experiments," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 116-133, July.
- Sunder, S., 1992. "Experimental Asset Markets: A Survey," GSIA Working Papers 1992-19, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Smith, Vernon L & Suchanek, Gerry L & Williams, Arlington W, 1988. "Bubbles, Crashes, and Endogenous Expectations in Experimental Spot Asset Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1119-51, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssa:lemwps:2003/19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.