Layoff Costs and Efficiency with Asymmetric Information
Wage determination under asymmetric information generates ine¢ ciencies due to excess turnover. Severance pay and layo¤ taxes can improve e¢ ciency. We show that inefficient separations can even be fully removed with xed separation taxes in the case where therelevant private information is exponentially distributed.
|Date of creation:||04 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Alessandria & Alain Delacroix, 2004.
"Trade and the (Dis) Incentive to Reform Labor Markets: The Case of Reform in the European Union,"
2004 Meeting Papers
460, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alessandria, George & Delacroix, Alain, 2008. "Trade and the (dis)incentive to reform labor markets: The case of reform in the European Union," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 151-166, May.
- George Alessandria & Alain Delacroix, 2004. "Trade and the (dis)incentive to reform labor markets: the case of reform in the European Union," Working Papers 04-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- George Alessandria & Alain Delacroix, 2007. "Trade and the (Dis)Incentive to Reform Labor Markets: The Case of Reform in the European Union," Cahiers de recherche 0738, CIRPEE.
- George Alessandria - Alain Delacroix, 2004. "Trade and the (Dis)Incentive to Reform Labor Markets: The Case of Reform in the European Union," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 233, Econometric Society.
- Marcelo Veracierto, 2000.
"Employment flows, capital mobility, and policy analysis,"
Working Paper Series
WP-00-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Veracierto, Marcelo, 2001. "Employment Flows, Capital Mobility, and Policy Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(3), pages 571-95, August.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Veracierto, Marcelo, 2001. "Severance payments in an economy with frictions," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 477-498, June.
- Wasmer, Etienne, 2002.
"Interpreting Europe and US Labor Markets Differences: The Specificity of Human Capital Investments,"
IZA Discussion Papers
549, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wasmer, Etienne, 2002. "Interpreting Europe and US labor markets differences: the specificity of human capital investments," Arbetsrapport 2003:9, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Etienne Wasmer, 2006. "Interpreting Europe and US labor markets differences : the specificity of human capital investments," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8904, Sciences Po.
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983.
"Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- Hall, Robert E & Lazear, Edward P, 1984.
"The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-57, April.
- Robert E. Hall & Edward P. Lazear, 1982. "The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand," NBER Working Papers 0864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giulio Fella, 2007.
"Optimal Severance Pay in a Matching Model,"
598, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Alain Delacroix & Etienne Wasmer, 2007. "Job and Workers Flows in Europe and the US: Specific Skills or Employment Protection?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/9938, Sciences Po.
- repec:oup:restud:v:61:y:1994:i:3:p:397-415 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Shimer, 2005. "The Cyclical Behavior of Equilibrium Unemployment and Vacancies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 25-49, March.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999.
"New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999. "New developments in models of search in the labor market," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627 Elsevier.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo & Rogerson, Richard, 1993. "Job Turnover and Policy Evaluation: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 915-38, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/5l6uh8ogmqildh09h4823espg. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.