Monetary determinants of the Swiss franc
This paper looks into the determinants of the Swiss franc exchange rate against the euro. Based on the monetary approach to exchange rates, we start from the premise that monetary policy has an influence on the exchange rate. To measure this effect, we apply the structural vector-autoregression methodology on a set of Swiss macroeconomic variables and the euro area interest rate. Overall, we find that Swiss monetary policy contributes between 7 and 15% to variations of the exchange rate between 1981 and 2008. Focusing on the episode between 2003 and 2005 we attribute more than half of the depreciation of the franc to Swiss monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Börsenstrasse 15, P. O. Box, CH - 8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderlind, 2007.
"Safe Haven Currencies,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007
2007-22, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Artis, Michael J & Ehrmann, Michael, 2000.
"The Exchange Rate - A Shock-Absorber or Source of Shocks? A Study of Four Open Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2550, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Artis, Michael & Ehrmann, Michael, 2006. "The exchange rate - A shock-absorber or source of shocks? A study of four open economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 874-893, October.
- Michael Artis & Michael Ehrmann, 2000. "The Exchange Rate -a Shock-Absorber or Source of Shocks? A Study of Four Open Economies," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 38, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2008.
"The Monetary Model Strikes Back; Evidence from the World,"
IMF Working Papers
08/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Cerra, Valerie & Saxena, Sweta Chaman, 2010. "The monetary model strikes back: Evidence from the world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 184-196, July.
- Tanya Molodtsova & Alex Nikolsko-Rzhevskyy & David H. Papell, 2009.
"Taylor Rules and the Euro,"
0903, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snb:snbwpa:2009-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.