Sorting by Foot: Consumable Travel-for Local Public Good and Equilibrium Stratification
This paper reexamine Tiebout’s hypothesis of endogenous sorting in a competitive spatial equilibrium setup with both income and preference heterogeneity. Agents decide endogenously the number of trips to consume a travel-for congestable local public good. We show that the equilibrium configuration may be completely segregated, incompletely segregated or completely integrated, depending crucially on the scale of local public good services, relative market rents and the underlying income/preference/local tax parameters. Segregated equilibrium may feature endogenous sorting purely by income or by both income and preferences. Multiple equilibria may arise when the equilibrium configuration is incompletely segregated.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 886-2-27822791|
Web page: http://www.econ.sinica.edu.tw/index.php?foreLang=enEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita, Masahisa, 1986. "Optimal location of public facilities : Area dominance approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 241-268, May.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999.
"Clubs and the Market,"
99-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995.
"Crime and Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
5026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward E. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1995. "Crime and Social Interactions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1738, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bond, Eric W. & Coulson, N. Edward, 1989. "Externalities, filtering, and neighborhood change," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 231-249, September.
- repec:van:wpaper:0035 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcus Berliant & Shin-Kun Peng & Ping Wang, 2004.
"Welfare Analysis of the Number and Locations of Local Public Facilities,"
0407015, EconWPA, revised 20 Jul 2005.
- Berliant, Marcus & Peng, Shin-Kun & Wang, Ping, 2006. "Welfare analysis of the number and locations of local public facilities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 207-226, March.
- Marcus Berliant & Shin-Kun Peng & Ping Wang, 2004. "Welfare Analysis of the Number and Locations of Local Public Facilities," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 04-A011, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Thomas. J. Nechyba, 1997.
"Existence of equilibrium and stratification in local and hierarchical Tiebout economies with property taxes and voting,"
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 277-304.
- Thomas J. Nechyba, 1996. "Existence of Equilibrium and Stratification in Local and Hierarchical Tiebout Economies with Property Taxes and Voting," NBER Technical Working Papers 0190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1979. "Market models of local government: Exit, voting, and the land market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 319-337, July.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 2001. "Tiebout Economies with Differential Genetic Types and Endogenously Chosen Crowding Characteristics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 261-294, June.
- Wildasin, David E., 1987. "Theoretical analysis of local public economics," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 29, pages 1131-1178 Elsevier.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Cornes, Richard C, 1983. "Independence of Allocative Efficiency from Distribution in the Theory of Public Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1753-65, November.
- O'Regan, Katherine M. & Quigley, John M., 1992.
"Family Networks and Youth Access to Jobs,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt0b96s4b3, University of California Transportation Center.
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Wildasin, David E., 1992.
"Public facility location and urban spatial structure : Equilibrium and welfare analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 83-118, June.
- THISSE, Jacques & WILDASIN, David, 1990. "Public facility location and urban spatial structure. Equilibrium and welfare analysis," CORE Discussion Papers 1990025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Le Breton & Hideo Konishi & Shlomo Weber, 1996.
"Equivalence of strong and coalition-proof Nash equilibria in games without spillovers (*),"
Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 97-113.
- Le Breton, M. & Konishi, H. & Weber, S., 1995. "Equivalence of Strong and Coalition-Proof Nash Equilibria in Games without Spillovers," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 95a39, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Hartwick, John & Schweizer, Urs & Varaiya, Pravin, 1976. "Comparative statics of a residential economy with several classes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 396-413, December.
- Benabou, Roland, 1996. "Equity and Efficiency in Human Capital Investment: The Local Connection," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 237-64, April.
- Patrick Bayer & Robert McMillan & Kim Rueben, 2005.
"Residential Segregation in General Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
11095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konishi, Hideo, 1996. "Voting with Ballots and Feet: Existence of Equilibrium in a Local Public Good Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 480-509, February.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1979. "Aggregate Land Rents, Expenditure on Public Goods, and Optimal City Size," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 471-500, November.
- Bénabou, Roland, 1993.
"Heterogeneity, Stratification and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
815, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schwab, Robert M. & Oates, Wallace E., 1991. "Community composition and the provision of local public goods : A normative analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 217-237, March.
- Coulson, N Edward & Laing, Derek & Wang, Ping, 2001. "Spatial Mismatch in Search Equilibrium," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(4), pages 949-72, October.
- Ellickson, Bryan, 1979. "Competitive equilibrium with local public goods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 46-61, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sin:wpaper:03-a008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HsiaoyunLiu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.