Persistency and Money Demand Distortions in a Stochastic DGE Model with Sticky Prices and Capital
This paper considers the implications of adding capital as a factor of production in a stochastic DGE model with sticky prices. Particular attention is given to the role of money demand and to the form of the utility function. I consider cash-in-advance- (CIA) as well as money-in-the-utility-function- (MIU) models, with CRRA and GHH preferences, to evaluate their ability to generate persistence. It is shown that even in a MIU-model with a GHH utility function and a high elasticity of labor supply with respect to the real wage the additional intertemporal substitution channel opened through capital accumulation does have a significant dampening influence on the persistence effects of monetary shocks. In a CIA-setup with GHH preferences the model can generate the liquidity effect. A multiplicatively separable CRRA utility function in the MIU-model cannot account for the observed persistent reactions of inflation and output either.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:||05 May 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hölderlinstr. 3, D - 57068 Siegen|
Phone: ++49 (0)271 740-3139
Fax: ++49 (0)271 740-2590
Web page: http://www.uni-siegen.de/fb5/vwl/research/diskussionsbeitraege/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Zheng Liu, 2001. "Input-Output Structure and Nominal Staggering: The Persistence Problem Revisited," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 145, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King & Alexander L. Wolman, 1999. "State-Dependent Pricing and the General Equilibrium Dynamics of Money and Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 655-690.
- Taylor, John B, 1980. "Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Robert King & Alexander L. Wolman, 1999. "What Should the Monetary Authority Do When Prices Are Sticky?," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 349-404 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ludger Linnemann, 1999. "Sectoral and aggregate estimates of the cyclical behavior of markups: Evidence from Germany," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 135(3), pages 480-500, September.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King, 2006.
"Pricing, Production, and Persistence,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 893-928, 09.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King, 2001. "Pricing, Production and Persistence," NBER Working Papers 8407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King, 2005. "Pricing, production, and persistence," Working Papers 05-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ali Dib & Louis Phaneuf, 2001. "An Econometric U.S. Business Cycle Model with Nominal and Real Rigidities," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 137, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- K. Huang & Z. Liu & L. Phaneuf, "undated". "Staggered contracts, intermediate goods and the dynamic effects of monetary shocks on output, inflation and real wages," Working Papers 2000-20, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Cavallo, Michele & Ghironi, Fabio, 2002. "Net foreign assets and the exchange rate: Redux revived," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1057-1097, July.
- Michele Cavallo & Fabio Ghironi, 2000. "Net Foreign Assets and the Exchange Rate: Redux Revived," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 505, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Feb 2002.
- Michael Gail, 2001. "Persistency and Money Demand Distortions in a Stochastic DGE Model with Sticky Prices," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 96-01, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Floden, Martin, 2000. "Endogenous monetary policy and the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1409-1429, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sie:siegen:103-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Gail)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.