Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Trade in Emerging Market Economies
This paper examines the effects of information and communications technology (ICT) on international trade in emerging markets. Using panel data for 40 emerging market economies (EMEs) for a period from 1995 to 2010, we estimate fixed effects models of exports and imports on ICT and other control variables. Our ICT variables include the growth of telecom investment, international Internet bandwidth, Internet subscriptions per 100 people, and the number of Internet hosts per 100 people. We use the share of total exports and of total imports in GDP as the dependent variables. Additionally, we consider the GDP share of exports and imports for goods and services separately. The main control variables are: per capita GDP growth, population growth, and the GDP growth for the rest of the world. The empirical results overwhelmingly suggest that Internet bandwidth, Internet subscriptions, and Internet hosts have significant positive impacts on export share while all four ICT variables including telecom investment growth have significant positive impacts on import shares in emerging market economies. This result is robust across shorter sample period, a subsample of EMEs, alternative estimation method, and alternative model specifications. There are important policy implications of this result for developing countries.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P O Box 2118, Huntsville, TX 77341-2118|
Web page: http://www.shsu.edu/~eco_www/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Caroline Freund & Diana Weinhold, 2002. "The Internet and International Trade in Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 236-240, May.
- Sophia P. Dimelis & Sotiris K. Papaioannou, 2011.
"Technical Efficiency and the Role of ICT: A Comparison of Developed and Developing Countries,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(0), pages 40-53, July.
- Sophia P. Dimelis & Sotiris K. Papaioannou, 2011. "Technical Efficiency and the Role of ICT: A Comparison of Developed and Developing Countries," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(0), pages 40-53, July.
- Markus Haacker, 2010. "ICT Equipment Investment and Growth in Low- and Lower-Middle-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/66, . Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shs:wpaper:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Raschke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.