A Poverty and Inequality Impact Assessment of Liberalization of Water Utility in Senegal: A Macro-Micro Analysis
Many argued that water accessibility to the poor has been improved with the privatization of water utilities and that privatization on the whole has been beneficial to the poor households. In this paper, we used a multi-household integrated CGE model to analyze the impact of the privatization of the water utilities in Senegal on poverty and inequality and we also present a distributional analysis of water distribution before and after privatization to verify is the privatization process has been pro-poor. We simulate OPEX and CAPEX strategies and analyze how they affect government finances and other key macro and sectoral variables and attempt to measure the impact on poverty and inequality of different groups of households. The simulated price increases for the utility sector, have marginal effects on government finances and positive effects on most groups and negative effects on others agents.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (819) 821-7233
Fax: (819) 821-6930
Web page: http://www.gredi.org/home/documents-de-travailEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590863, HAL.
- De Maio, Lorenzo & Stewart, Frances & van der Hoeven, Rolph, 1999. "Computable General Equilibrium Models, Adjustment and the Poor in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 453-470, March.
- Thomas Hertel & Jeffrey Reimer, 2005.
"Predicting the poverty impacts of trade reform,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 377-405.
- Taylor, Lance & Lysy, Frank J., 1979. "Vanishing income redistributions : Keynesian clues about model surprises in the short run," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 11-29, February.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2000. "Dotations en capital et pauvreté des ménages au Burkina Faso : une analyse en équilibre général calculable," Documents de travail 50, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Bourguignon, F. & Michel, G. & Miqueu, D., 1983. "Short-run rigidities and long-run adjustments in a computable general equilibrium model of income distribution and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 21-43.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
Cahiers de recherche
9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Papers 9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Luc Savard, 2005.
"Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 313-331, 05.
- Chia, Ngee-Choon & Wahba, Sadek & Whalley, John, 1994. "Poverty-Reducing Targeting Programmes: A General Equilibrium Approach," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 3(2), pages 309-38, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "Poverty effects of Russia's WTO accession : modeling"real"households and endogenous productivity effects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3473, The World Bank.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Welfare Impacts of China's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 29-57.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2003. "Dotations en capital et pauvreté des ménages au Burkina Faso : une analyse en Équilibre Général Calculable," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(1), pages 43-71.
- Bourguignon, Francois & De Melo, Jaime & Suwa, Akiko, 1991. "Modeling the effects of adjustment programs on income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1527-1544, November.
- Morrisson, Christian, 1991. "Adjustment, incomes and poverty in Morocco," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(11), pages 1633-1651, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shr:wpaper:05-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luc Savard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.